Day 5

Today, I didn't do as well as I would have liked on my weekly micro test, my research grant didn't get approved and 50 disposable, plastic knives fell on my head.  But this is okay, because we have the daily kissing dose! 

Day 5: Best Movie Kisses, It's a Wonderful Life

Okay, so I know full well that there are people in this world--such as my cousin-in-law ("Is there such a thing as a cousin-in-law?)--who do not like this movie.  But I love it.  And a huge piece of it is that I love the character of George Bailey.  He is a genuinely wonderful guy.  And he does love Mary, and Mary is lucky to have him.  But getting married and having four kids (no matter how cute those four are), was not in his plan.  And I really think that there is no problem with that.  You don't have to be happy that your plans got smashed, you just have to be happy with the ones that did happen.  And I think that this kiss represents that concept--the loving what you have, while hitting the table in frustration that your plans didn't work.


Day 5:  Best TV Kisses, The Office

For such a famous and popular show, I was surprised how hard it was to procure the clips for our demonstration on this one.  But Jim and Pam remind us that even everyday people who sell paper and answer phones can have their kisses too.  And those kisses can be just as wonderful.  And you only have to be as handsome as John Krasinski or as beautiful as Jenna Fischer!  Everyone can do that, right?


Day 5: Best Animated Kisses, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

 So yes, it is true that Snow White has one of the most annoying voices known to man.  But this is one of those kisses that I cried in while watching.  And maybe it's not the kiss so much as a throw-back to a better time.  Or maybe not.  In the 1940s, there was World War II, sexist and racist laws all over, and singers that sounded like BYU Vocal Performance majors.  But, entertainment also was a different thing.  I also think that the narration that is very reminiscent of silent films adds something.  And yes, I am fully aware that the riding into the sunset is not realistic.  In the BYU Museum of Art, there is a series of photographs called "Fallen Princesses" by Dina Goldstein.  One of them is called "Snowy" and shows what Snow White's life is today:

snowwhite

Well, they haven't gotten there yet.  This picture was meant to mean that Prince Charming isn't really a Prince Charming, and he won't help her with the kids.  I think it's more life has hit them, but they can still love each other.  And for now, they are still kissing in their bliss.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?