What does it mean to be a Russell?

As many know, most European families (not all, but most) have a coat of arms, a crest, a motto, all that good stuff. So, I decided to look a bit into what being a Russell means. And maybe I'll do the same for Hatches, because I am a Hatch too.
The last name Russell is Scottish and means "Red-headed" and derives from the Norman name of Roussel. The Russells are a well-respected Highland Scot clan, complete with Scottish crest and tartan:
















The motto on the crest "virtus sine macula" means "Virtue without blemish."

As Scotland incorporated more and more into England, the Russells became nobility in that world as well, and were thus presented with a coat of arms:


And yes, the motto written on that one is "che sara sara." You've got to admit, that's pretty gosh-darn cool. It really does mean "Whatever will be, will be."

And in honor of that:


Comments

I liked this post a lot. Thanks! Hannah.
Charles said…
I too am a Russell. Ever since jr high I've been interested in the family history. This is the first I've seen of the original scottish clan, so thanks for the new found knowledge!
Rainy Daze said…
Hi Hannah, I also am a Mormon and went to BYU and am from the Russell clan!
cheekymonkey said…
Hello Hannah, I just ran across this posting and curious if we might be related, albeit distantly. My mother's family is Russell, from which I have as my first name and my paternal grandmother is a Hatch from Missouri originally.

My email is russell.mark5888@gmail.com. please feel free to contact me.
Russell Mark
Liza said…
TOP QUALITY CUSTOM MADE KILTS LENGTH YOU PREFER DESGIN YOU LIKE
Visit Our Women's Kilts
Unknown said…
My Birth name is Dorothy Russell, but I am also a McClanathan Great Grandfather on my grandmother side , and feltonbargar was my Great grandmothers maiden name. I have some records dating back to 1066 A.D. for the Russells, but nothing for the McClanathan or Feltonbargar. Hope to find more family that came thru Canada in to michigan.
Unknown said…
My name is Thomas Russell, I was almost named Francis Russell with connections to the Duke of Bedford, which has been in our family line many generations. My great grandfather came to America in 1725, via Ireland via Scotland via England via Normandy. Sending love to all the Russell clan!
I'm a Russell from South Central Kentucky I've done a little bit of studying on the family history we have some relatives one County over by the last name of wiser they say you can tell a Russell from about mid nose up for the forehead pretty much the brow area and whenever I look at some old portraits of The Dukes of bedfordshire yeah you can see that Russell Brow that my family is so famous for cool to be of the old world European nobility still just a poor working class boy from South Central Kentucky

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!