Bloggin

I have sprees where I feel like I'm the best blogger in the world.  Then, I have crises like today when I start to wonder why I would ever start a blog.  I have a boring life.  Today's highlight was making blood jello, aka simulating blood clotting in little itty-bitty cups in order to evaluate the intrinsic coagulation pathway.  It's official name is PTT or partial thromboplastin time, but I like calling it making blood jello.  We even centrifuged out the red stuff too make it more appetizing.  I spend a lot of time with blood, but I probably spend more time with plasma and serum, which people find to be less stomach-wrenching than blood for some reason.  Perhaps the fact that I don't find it to be stomach-wrenching at all contributes to that.

Anyways, I like my life.  But I wonder if other people would.  I was talking with the MLS that teaches the intro-to-the-major class. She was talking about how there is a problem in the medical world, because medicine is getting too complex for MDs to reasonably be accountable for all of medicine.  This is why the pharmacist's scope of practice is increasing, as well as NPs and PAs, and also why MLSs are starting to be more and more accountable for things.  The problem being that MDs don't want to consult on equal levels with non-MDs.  They're seeing the problem with the fact that Pharmacists are now required to have PharmDs (with grandfathering) and NPs are required to have DNPs (with grandfathering).  Both of these are doctorates, but MDs don't want to associate with them on equal levels, even though they are on equal footing.  With the DCLS (doctor of clinical laboratory science) coming into being (that's right, we're getting AWESOME!) MDs, are having the same problem.  MDs are under the impression that they are the top of the food chain.  They are, but there are other people up there with them, and it's getting bigger.  There are actually currently panels in several medical societies and regulating agencies figuring out how to get MDs off their high horses.  Quite frankly, studies show that it is increasing medical errors.  They are trying to delegate the work out to other qualified personnel, but MDs aren't having it.  Maybe they will someday soon

I don't know the point of that last paragraph, but if you got something out of it, that'd be wonderful.

How was your day?

Comments

p said…
Partially because the AMA artificially limits the number of doctors it will license.

This dilutes the power of the AMA, prestige of doctors, and their income.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?