40 Bags in 40 Days: Day 15

I can't even tell you how much I recommend this 40 Bags in 40 Days thing.  I have felt so much catharsis as I clear out places of my apartment that I didn't even realize were cluttered. I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff that I didn't even realize wasn't really contributing to my life.  I'm not one of those people who finds value in living out of a suitcase, nor am I really a hoarder, but I once heard it described as if the object doesn't give you joy, it's detracting from your joy.  So, I have been really trying to use that.  I am trying not to look at "could I someday find a use for this," but can I see a use for in the very soon future, or is it just taking up space?

I cleaned out my couch shelves today.  As I told you on Saturday, you will be jealous that I have couch shelves, and you will want them too.  My sister built this for me, but I think furniture companies need to catch on, because this is one of my favorite things in my apartment.  Couch shelves.

Before:





After:





Here's the biggest thing that I realized when I was doing this one:  Just because it was a gift, doesn't mean I have to keep it.  Sometimes people give you lousy gifts.  Sometimes gifts outlive their purpose.  You shouldn't have to keep something just because it was a gift.

I also learned something else that I think I already knew but wasn't going to say.  I will probably get kicked out of Utah for saying this, but I'm moving Cincinnati in July anyways:  Mormon Boardgames/cardgames are one of the stupidest inventions ever.  I mean, I know we have our own culture, but do we really need our own games?  There are a lot of virtuous, lovely, of good report, and praiseworthy (see 13th Article of Faith) board and card games already in existence.  And most of them aren't really even fun.  So...I think you can guess what left my home.  Most (read: all) of those fall under both of these categories:  you don't have to keep it because it was a gift.

Join me tomorrow when I clean out my headboard.  And yes, I like shelves and drawers and storage that has other function as well.  I like the look of well-utilized space, thank you.  So I have a shelved headboard captain's bed.  And I love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?