40 Bags in 40 Days: Day 14

I know.  I missed a day.  But part of the rules of 40 Bags in 40 Days says that there is to be absolutely NO guilt for "missing days."  You just pick it up where you left off the next day.  So, that's what I'm doing.  Continuing with my left-hand book shelf.

My sister, Beth, and I built my desk.  Or rather, Beth built my desk and I assisted, because she builds things from plans she made up, and I am spatially defunct in the brain.  But because of that, I have a massive desk-shelf monstrosity which I love.  But, that's what I mean by left book shelf.  I love the thing.

I was actually surprised at how much stuff from the bookshelf I let go.  I thought I would fiercely hold on to all of it, but I actually achieved quite a good declutter. True, most of it was Sunday School manuals from years past, me reasoning that those will easily be available on line whenever I want them, and I could get a new one for next year if I don't  have a device for in-Sunday School reading by then (or if I ever end up regularly going to Sunday School again...because I spend a lot of time in Primary callings).  But, they are still things to declutter, and I also got rid of a couple of books that I had no real use or love for.

The hardest thing to let go of was the defunct hard drive.  In one of my plastic drawers on the shelf, I had my defunct hard drive.  This is the hard drive that failed right after my freshman year of college, taking with it almost seven years of novel and short-story writing.  I had a few hard copies of some of the stuff, but most of them not. And I was not in the habit of backing things up at the time.  I have held on to it, hoping for a day when I will be able to access the files.  Today, I have decided that it is time to let it go.  Let the old Hannah-the-writer die, let a new, better one rise in its place, as I believe it has.  Let it die, and ring in the new, as Tennyson would say.  And it feels good to just let it go.

Before:





After:



 The throw away

The finished product.  I actually feel like it LOOKS cleaner this time.

Tomorrow, no decluttering in observance of the sabbath.  Join me Monday when I declutter my couch-shelves.  Yes, I have couch-shelves.  Yes, it does make sense.  It once again involves the building genius of my sister, and you will want couch-shelves, too, when you see what they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?