40 bags in 40 days: Day 1

When I was growing up, we were constantly moving.  My mother would say that it was a good thing, because we were always decluttering our house.  Well, folks, I think I have lived in the same place for too long.  Because I feel like my home is cluttered.  And yes, I am going to be moving to Cincinnati this summer, so I guess I will declutter then, but then I will have to do it in an overwhelming way. I saw on facebook someone who mentioned the 40 bags in 40 days.  Basically, the idea is that each day you pick one area of your house to declutter for 40 days (not necessarily consecutive...in fact, you are supposed to take one day off a week.  Anyway, the point is that you don't get a huge burst and then completely burn out. And by one area, they don't mean: "The Kitchen."  They mean, "The spice rack."  So, I will be documenting this endeavor on my blog.  Hopefully, I will also be posting other things (January was ultimately draining).

Today, I started with something easy: the upper cabinets of my kitchen.  So of all the things in my apartment, my upper cabinets are possibly my least cluttered thing of all.  Here are some before and after shots (before):











AFTER: 









So here's the thing.  I thought that it was all going to be a ten minute thing.  But then, I found my recipe book....oh yeah that thing.  Well, I took care of it.  It used to be stuffed with paper scraps of scribbled recipes, all stuffed into my mother's compiled recipe book.  Well, I typed up those paper scraps and made a section of Hannah's compiled recipe book inside my mother's compiled recipe book.

Also, I started feeling awesomely cathartic when I was getting rid of dishes I didn't need, and then when I started getting into where I was keeping all of my "re-usable" containers, I threw them all away.  Yes, I can probably find another use for a peanut butter jar, but I haven't in the past year...so why am I keeping it?

Tomorrow...I will take care of the recycling...maybe it is actually just a chore.  But it really needs to happen.

Comments

Amy R said…
Fun post. I should declutter, too. But maybe at an even slower pace.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?