25 Days of Christmas Baking Day 2: Salted Caramel Cookies

There has been a request for pictures.  I will oblige.  However, today, I didn't actually make up a batch of these, because Delta Airlines and I spent the day together.  But, I will make them later and upload the pictures.

The idea for this comes from a blog called I Heart Nap Time.  However, I didn't actually follow her recipe.  I used a shortbread that I've been making for years and then altered the topping a bit.

I am not a caramel lover.  However, I really did enjoy these cookies, and the Lab Staff voted them onto the list.  Lab Scientists like baking a lot. I don't know if it's because of the fact that we find comfort in something turning out when you follow a meticulous set of instructions, or because we relish not having to do things to the microliter for it to work out for once. But a lot of Lab Scientists are very avid bakers.

 Salted Caramel Cookies



Cookie
2 c. flour
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. butter
½ c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Caramel Topping
 1/2 bag Kraft caramels
1 tbl milk
kosher salt (I'm sure sea salt would work just as well, but I used kosher)

Chocolate Drizzle  
 4 oz semisweet chocolate (I used chips, but coating chocolate might work, too)
1 tbl butter

Note:  I'm going to be perfectly honest about the topping and drizzle.  I'm not super particular about the measurements.  I just kind of put in enough of the melting solid and the melting liquid and call it good.

1.Beat butter, add sugar and beat
2. Add vanilla
3. Stir in flour
4. Chill dough
5.Preheat oven to 350
6. Place parchment paper on cookie sheet
7. Roll and cut dough (I just use a dinner glass)
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes
9.  Allow cookies to cool
10.  Melt caramels and milk together
12.  spoon caramel mixture onto the top of the cookies.  It will spread to cover the cookie's top, so you don't need to actually "frost" it
13. sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt on top of each cookie
14.  Melt together chocolate and butter
15. drizzle chocolate mixture on top.

Et voila!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?