25 Days of Christmas Baking Day 1: Gingerbread

I love Christmas.  I love pretending to be a good baker. And these two things oftentimes go together.  But some recipes are good. Some really are not.  So, I have decided to dedicate the month of December to finding the 25 Best Baked Goods of Christmas.  There will still maybe be other posts, so there could be the possibility of multiple posts per day (but I don't promise). So, each day, in no particular order because of my inability to rank which we have discussed before, I will present one of the 25 Best Baked Goods of Christmas.

Keep in mind that I don't like to decorate baked goods, and I am completely incapable of doing so.  As such, judging will be on taste alone, not on cutsiness.  You are welcome to decorate these to your heart's content, but I can't do that.

Also, a special thanks to the staff of the Primary Children's Hospital Lab, who were instrumental in critiquing many, many, many baked goods throughout the month of November.  Special Special Thanks to the Night Shift (Micro, Core Lab and Phlebotomy) who ate A LOT of sugar. So, thanks to Debbie, Trisha, Jason, Justin, Taylor, Tyler, Denver, Jenn, Paul, Corina, Landon, Crystal and Luana who made this blog series possible. 

We will start this series with Gingerbread Men.  Nothing says Christmas like Gingerbread.  This recipe comes from my Aunt Evelyn, and has been voted onto the list of the 25 Best Baked Goods of Christmas.  They are a sweet gingerbread that stays softer than many, which makes it particularly desirable.

Gingerbread Men



½ c. butter
½ c. packed brown sugar
1 pkg regular butterscotch pudding
1 egg
1 ½ c. flour
½ t. baking soda
1 ½ t. ground ginger
½ t. ground cinnamon

Cream sugar, butter, pudding; add egg; combine flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon add to mixture.  Chill.  Roll 1/8 inch thick and shape
Bake 350 degrees 6-8 min.

Comments

p said…
These posts need pictures. Your phone can handle the duties I think.
Evelyn said…
I haven't made this recipe in probably 20 years! I do remember it being good, though. A colleague at William Penn Elementary gave me the recipe after I requested it because I sampled her gingerbread.
Amy R said…
This is a really good recipe. It is my favorite. I have noted, however, that it contains no molasses so it definitely isn't traditional. Butterscotch pudding is tastier than molasses.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?