BEST OF THIS DECADE SO FAR!

We have arrived at the end of this series. Now I don't know what to do with my blog, but something will happen. This list is really hard, because this is basically my movie-going generation. So I am more of a connoisseur of this decade than I have been on any of the others. I'm still not a complete expert (far from), but I know a little more. So here we go:

1. Finding Neverland (2004) Another one that I cry all the time while watching. It's a special movie, and I've always liked the idea of Peter Pan, and J.M. Barrie was a thoroughly intriguing man. Did you know that he didn't ever grow up? No, I'm not kidding. After he died, it was learned that he physically hadn't ever grown up. He was also only 5'. That's almost as tall as I am, but that's beside the point (I'm an inch taller). One of the true Davies boys, Nico (Nicolas), when responding to accusations that J.M. Barrie was slightly...pedophilic...said, "I don't believe he ever felt that one for any man, woman or child. He was too innocent--that's why he could write Peter Pan." He told his wife "Boys don't love," when she was upset that he refused to engage even after they were married. It's sort of an interesting story. He didn't grow any past the age of of 14. The exact same age that his brother died at. It's a little interesting. We talked about it all in Psychology class.

2. Saints and Soldiers (2003) As you might have seen from my other choices, I'm not really much for war movies when it all come down to it. But, Caleb and I were discussing this movie the other day and we came to the conclusion that this movie isn't really a war movie in the usual sense of the word. The characters are developed, you love the characters, and by the end of the movie, where usually in war movies one is meant to love the fighting, you are hoping that no fighting takes place. Why? Simple. One of the characters could die. This movie isn't about the death and dying. It challenges all the stereotypes. It examines killing and war at a whole new level and shows what true spirituality is. If you haven't seen this film, I would suggest that you do. There is one place at the end that if you are REALLY not one for blood I would suggest that avert your eyes for a few moments. Don't worry, it's not flying body parts. It's just a little more gruesome. You're focused more on the emotion of it than the gore though.

3. A Beautiful Mind (2001) John Nash really was a peculiar man. It's just cool to wonder at his mind, and just goes to show that who are we to say whose mind is okay and whose isn't?

4. The Chronicles of Narnia (the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) (2005) Okay, I love Chronicles of Narnia, and I'm glad that this story wasn't destroyed. It was done justice. I even like the fox addition, and just ask my brother, I am not usually one to like additions to masterpieces.

5. Ratatouille (2007) This was a cute movie. It really was. I already gave a review of this movie back when it came out, so I won't waste your time. It's back in July if you want to read it.

6.Finding Nemo (2003) Another cute movie. I like how when he's above water calling for Nemo, he goes back underwater, takes a huge breath and then goes back up. That's just perfect. "I suffer from short term memory loss. It runs in my family...at least I think it does. Hmm...where are they?"

7. Nanny McPhee (2005) This is just a magical spin-off of Mary Poppins. A Mary Poppins that no one has ever seen before. I have cried in this one before too, but you know. I'm a bit like that.

8.The Incredibles (2004) This is just funny. The plot is really just...there. It's just funny, that's all it was ever meant to be "Everyone's special, Dash." "Which is just another way of saying no one is."

9. Chicken Run (2000) The Great Escape...with chickens. What sort of person would come up with this? They're lucky, because it's HILARIOUS.

10. Pride and Prejudice (2005) I like how it's Austen, but not everything's always pristine. That just made me happy.

Honorable Mentions: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Bee Movie, National Treasure, , Gods and Generals, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Harry Potter Conglomeration (MINUS PRISONER OF AZKABAN), Remember the Titans

Best Foreign Film that I’ve Seen: Joyeux Noel (it’s in English, French and German, but it’s French-made)

HOPING THAT IT'S GOOD, MIGHT GO SEE IN SOON: The Spiderwick Chronicles. I am a HUGE fan of the Spider Chronicles, have been since Book 1, and I'm hoping that they do them justice. I'll be rather sad if they don't.

Comments

Beth said…
I don't know if I would have included "Chicken Run" on a best of list, but it is a cute movie. You have picked some good ones, but it is almost more interesting to think of what you didn't pick.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?