Best of the 90s: Almost There

Okay, we've arrived at the nineties. That means that we're almost done, and I'll have to think of something else with which to occupy my lighter hours. (and it won't be women, Front-de-Boeuf: Front-de-Boeuf at one points states: "Women are but toys with which we amuse our lighter hours." Are we glad he dies in Torquilstone?)

1. Mr. Holland's Opus (1995) I love this movie. It's so awesome and makes me cry every single time. Excited that this is the End of the Year movie this year in ASL. Each level of ASL has a movie that they watch at the end of the year. This is the one for my level.

2. October Sky (1999) Also, this one makes me cry my eyes out. It's inspiring--you don't have to do what every tells you you will do.

3. Apollo 13 (1995) A well-made film really. It's just a time to remember the glory of what the Apollo missions were.

4. While You Were Sleeping (1995) It's funny. We watch it every Thanksgiving. "These mashed potatoes are so creamy...Would you like to see Dustin Hoffman save the Alamo?...Caesar Romero wasn't Spanish." So random. That family is just...perfect. "I like mass better in Latin. It's nicer when you don't know what they're saying." "I was in a coma when my brother makes a play for ...well sort of my fiancee."

5. Anastasia (1997) It's Russian, it's cute, it's got sing-a-long-able songs. Sounds great to me! "Do you really think that I'm a princess, Dimitri?" "Oh you know I do." "Then stop ordering me around!"--"Your falling apart sir, how do expect to get to Paris in one piece?" And they did their research. The story isn't at all possible (I mean, Anastasia was accounted for for years after the point at which she is separated from her family in the movie---in fact, Anastasia was accounted for at the shooting of the family. The only thing that makes the whole "she lived" is that one of the Czarevna's bodies and the Czarevitch's body are not accounted for in the burials.) but they all in all did their research.

6. Newsies (1992) Singing, dancing boys. I'll take it. (Sam says it's the shirtless boys that makes girls like this movie, but whatever) Plus that's the era when labor unions had a purpose. Today...we'll get into that later.

7. Toy Story and Sequel (1995 and 1999) Funny and likeable. They have great songs too.

8. A River Runs Through It (1992) Depressing but with hope. The thing that drags this down the list is that it will forever more be associated with appendectomies, appendicitis and appendices in general. Why? It's the movie that Caleb, Sarah and I watched while Mom, Dad and Beth were at the hospital while Beth was having her appendectomy.

9. Babe (1995) It's a talking pig? How could you want more?

10. Beauty and the Beast (1991) This was my ABSOLUTE most favorite movie ever when I was little, and I have to pay homage to it. I like the first musical number best.


Honorable Mention: Sense and Sensibility, Tarzan, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, The Prince of Egypt, Robin Hood Men in Tights, Simon Birch, Gettysburg, Home Alone

Honorable Mention of Score: (never seen it) Schindler’s List

Best Foreign Film that I’ve Seen: Cyrano de Bergerac (it’s in French)

Special Place in My Heart and I need to explain why: Lion King II: Simba’s Pride

EXPLANATION: Why does Simba's Pride have a special place in my heart?

I am a firm believer in apples that DO fall far from the tree. I sometimes consider myself the result of an apple that fell far (my dad). It's reflected in my novel-writing. I have a disproportionate amount of characters that are very unlike their parents--for better or for worse. Certainly, I have my fair share of children from loving families that grow up to do the same, but I have a handful of characters from really rotten families that aren't bad at all, and I have a couple that are rotten that come from loveable families. I don't like to believe that anyone is set into any path. Maybe that's why I like the story of East of Eden so much. So, to have a Disney movie where the old villain's son is very, very, very, very, very likeable and nice, is a good thing. So it has a special place in my heart.

Comments

Beth said…
Sorry, Simba's Pride is still awful. And what happened to Aladdin. It isn't even and honorable mention.
I guess I am touched that my hospital stay effected your movie choices.

And sorry to say, little sister, your crying in a movie does nothing to decide how good it is. You cry in every movie.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?