Best Movies of the 50s- As Promised


As I said I would, here are the top ten movies of the 50s. The 50s had quite a few good ones, and they were hard to decide on. But here they are:

1. Roman Holiday (1953)- Great, cute story thats perfectly balanced parts funny and touching. Definitely does not hurt to have one of the cutest actors in history playing the male lead.

2. Harvey (1950)- So genuine and sweet. "Dowd's the name. Elwood P." Just so nice and everyone's so critical of him. "He's a phooka."

3. How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)- Where does money really come from? It's funny, true, and really transcends time. "I wouldn't mind marrying Vanderbilt." "Mr. Cadillac?" "There isn't one, I checked." "Is there a Mr. Texaco?"

4. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)- A great musical. Who couldn't like "Sobbin' Women?" Completely sing-a-long-able.

5. The Bridge Over the River Kwai (1953) Complete with whistling.

6. Guys and Dolls (1955) Fun story, good music and the ever-wonderful, cute-back-then, Marlon Brando. "You know, I imagine there's only one thing that's been in as many different hotel rooms as I have: the Gideon Bible. Don't tangle with me on the Good Book. I must've read it through at least a dozen times."

7. High Noon (1952) The ever-present, always ticking...clock.

8. Julius Caesar (1953) Take Marlon Brando, put him in Shakespeare and add the feel that this production has, and you have just invented the perfect movie.

9. The Ten Commandments (1956) Epic. Purely epic. It's almost a "citable" source in Sunday School and Seminary these days.

10. Brigadoon (1954) My mother does not believe that I'd even consider this one of the best movies of the 50s. I'm sorry. Good music, and I just like the story. And a magic quality. "Brigadoon, Brigadoon..." to "Go home, go home, go home with bonny Jean. Go home, go home, OHHHHHHH go home with bonny Jean." And then there's, "Oh, horrible, destructive women. Do you have them in your country?" "Witches?" "We just pronounce it differently."

There you go. Ya, ya, I'm never going to hear the end of the Brigadoon thing. Sorry. Just my opinion. Tomorrow, I shall grace you with the best movies of the 60s.

Comments

Amy R said…
"Brigadoon????" "Singing in the Rain" would be a much better Gene Kelly choice. "I am a shimmering shining star in the cinema firmament." I also question "Ten Commandments." It is an epic, but it is sort of boring.
Amy R said…
After thinking about epics, I would have selected "Ben Hur" over "Ten Commandments" I believe.
Beth said…
Totally agree about the Singing in the Rain and the Ben Hur. Also I want to know where "Sleeping Beauty" is. I mean if you are going to put "Snow White" on the last list, "Sleeping Beauty" has to get a spot. It is at least as good a "Bridge over the River Kawi" and "Harvey."

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?