Top Ten Movies of the 30s and 40s!


I'm going along with the movie theme of my cousin, Justin. However, I shall start far back, because that makes for more posts. However, I'm combining the 30s and 40s, because movies have to have lived that long.

1) Casablanca (1942)-- great story, and even cooler seeing as WWII was not over when it was made. That sort of adds a whole new level to the movie

2) Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)--HILARIOUS. A little morbid perhaps when you think about it, but they're just crazy. They really do think it's a service to kill these men. And watching Cary Grant discover just how insane everyone in his "family" is is just hilarious. "You see dear, insanity runs in my family...it practically gallops" "Oh, just because Teddy's a little strange and Jonathan's a little...but your aunts aren't crazy at all." "They too have their oddities."

3) Gone With the Wind (1939)-- a bit long, but in all, it does really deserve the name that it has. "If I have to lie, cheat, steal or kill, I will never go hungry again!" And she does all of the above.

4) Mr. Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse (1948)--Also hilarious. "What in the world is a Zuz-Zuz Water Softener?!"

5) It's A Wonderful Life (1946)- Now that's an awesome movie. "Everytime you hear a bell ring, an angel gets his wings."

6) The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)- Okay, I don't care if people say Errol Flynn was gay or whatever. Men out there, do you have that kind of appeal to the women? And maybe the script was a little---rehearsed--the fight choreography was AMAZING!

7) Twelve O'Clock High (1949) - Just barely makes it in (with dates), but it's worth it. I saw it one day alone at my house when I got it from the library. Unfortunately, Caleb didn't see it before it went back, but he'd like it.

8) The Wizard of Oz (1939) - I had to put it in here. You can't have a best movies of the 30s and 40s without the Wizard of Oz.

9) Fantasia (1940)- purely magical, and the Pastoral Symphony, one of my favorite pieces of music, will evermore be about centaurs.

10) Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)- A beginning of a whole new world of promise.

Tomorrow! It's the Fifties!

Comments

undead medic said…
Interesting note: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and Gone with the Wind were Joseph Goebbels' favorite movies.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?