Starting to Blogging

So, I've made the unwilling leap into the 21st Century. Journals are a thing of the past, apparently. Now, we have to blog. So, I decided to get with it.

Right now, I'm waiting for the world to become interesting. This translates as: school to get out. Yeah, you heard me, here in Washington, school is still going strong. Not until June 22nd are we released into a higher level of living. I say this because I am convinced that school is modelled after Satan's plan (yeah, that's a Mormon, Plan-of-Salvation reference). We do not have any choices. So, if I use my time wisely, I don't feel any satisfaction in the concept. Oh well.

So, just to clarify: the title, The phoneme refers to, what a shock, a phoneme, which is the smallest unit in linguistics. That's right, my English teacher. It's not a morpheme. A morpheme is larger than a phoneme. A phoneme is a sound, a morpheme is a grammatical building block. Like unladylike has three morphemes: un, lady, like. But it has approximately nine phonemes. Ten graphemes, which are also smaller than morphemes. My English teacher is convinced that morphemes are the smallest unit. Some consider them the smallest in etymology (which I'd disagree with), but no one of authority thinks them the smallest in linguistics. Oh well. This is a complicated system, which I shall study someday at great length. AKA in college. But you probably don't care.

The web address is ghilliesnstrings because of two things I love: violins/pianos and Irish dancing. A ghillie, by the way, is an Irish softshoe. Sadly, hardshoes don't have a cool name like ghillies.

Well, that's the first post. Now that I've ranted about phonemes, morphemes and a little in graphemes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?