More Driver's Ed Thoughts

Today in Driver's Ed, I was thinking. Well, duh, we'd hope I do that a lot of the time, but here's the thing. They think that by showing us all sorts of graphic movies, that they'll change our driving habits.

Now, I've never planned to drunk drive, road rage, and street race, but there has been one time in my life that I just thought, "I will never be a reckless driver."

So, I'm a volunteer at a Hospital. When I graduate from high school, I'm planning on going to nursing school, so I just volunteer there to get some idea. But anyways, once, I was rounding up wheelchairs that had wandered from the herd of hospital supply, and I was rounding some up in the waiting room of the ER (or ED as they call it at Evergreen Hospital where I volunteer).

In this waiting room, there was a police officer and a man with handcuffs on. I didn't know what was really going on, but from the questions the officer was asking the handcuffed man, there was some reckless driving, and the handcuffed man was not the one who ended up hurt. Just then, a nurse or surgical tech (I can't tell unless I see if their badge says RN or NAC) came to the police officer and informed him that they were transferring to Harborview and he'd have to go there with them.

For those who don't live in this area, Evergreen is a big hospital for a community hospital. But everyone at Evergreen knows the lingo. Harborview is bad news. The dying, airlifting type of bad news. Harborview is licensed for the highest level of trauma out there. Everyone at Evergreen knows that transferring to Overlake probaby means complicated orthopedic proceedings, Swedish Hospital probably has to do with complicated cardiac stuff, and that transferring to Harborview is just plain old bad news.

At that moment, I saw nothing that I didn't see every single time I ventured into Evergeen Emergency Waiting Room, which is usually limited to non-compound fractures, relatively mildly bleeding wounds and some nauseaus-looking people. But I decided that I would never do anything stupid. Not really because I was so afraid of being the one that was presumably behind the doors of the triage nurse, but because I'm afraid of being the handcuffed man in the waiting room. And there wasn't horrific blood before my eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?