Why did I try this? Random inspiration

Have you ever discovered a food that you didn't know you'd like and you don't really know why you even tried it?  I had that experience a few months ago.  I've thought about sharing that experience several times, but it just never seemed to happen.  Back in the fall, I was at the grocery store and I was in the dressing aisle for some reason.  It was so long ago, I don't remember why.  And I saw something called Green Goddess Dressing.  Now, I'd never heard of Green Goddess Dressing.  For some reason, it sounded good at that moment.  So, I bought a bottle.  It was a Kraft's thing and not too expensive.

 

Turns out Green Goddess Dressing is very good.  I used it on potatoes.  I used it as a dip.  I used it as a sauce.  It was quite good.  However, I wasn't actually sure what it was. Or where it came from.  The idea that was in my head was that it was just some marketing thing that Kraft Foods invented quite recently.  Turns out, it was actually invented in 1923.  A chef at an upscale restaurant in California made it in honor of a play called The Green Goddess.  I don't think that this play is something that you'd really see produced today, yet, it was a great hit at the time.  The chef was trained in French cooking, and it was supposed to be like a sauce au vert, which is traditionally served on green eel.  Anyways, I found out that it is made of mayonnaise, sour cream, chervil, tarragon, lemon juice, pepper and anchovies.  Who knew?  Just goes to show that sometimes you should do random things.  You might discover something good.

Comments

Amy R said…
I remember Green Goddess dressing being advertised quite a bit on TV when I was a child. Therefore, I knew it was a pretty old product, but the back story of its origins and its ingredients were interesting.
Carol said…
I never knew about it either. But last year I made a salad that had a homemade dressing called "green goddess". I liked it well enough, but the salad was the best part. I didn't know that Kraft made it and I hadn't thought of putting it on potatoes. Sounds good. How did you do it on potatoes? Marinated? Love you!
Hannah said…
I actually boiled the potatoes to cook them and then kind of sauteed them to finish it off.
diane said…
I've loved green goddess since I was a teenager.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?