The Top Ten Cliche Graduation Songs

Since it is time for people to graduate from things, here are the Top Ten Cliche Graduation Songs.  I don't know why everyone feels they have to play these songs, but for some reason they do.

1.  Graduation (Friends Forever)  by Vitamin C

This song could also be called the most obnoxious song of all time.  I didn't know that you could make the Pachelbel's Canon chord progression any worse.  But, kudos, they did.  And yet, everyone always thinks it is important to include in any high school graduation experience.


2. Seasons of Love from Rent

This song is very good at getting stuck in your head, except the exact number never sticks in your head.  So, you sing this obnoxious song, but you just spout out random numbers instead of what it actually says.


3. I Will Remember You by Sarah McLachlan

The really special part of this one is that it doubles as a cliche one for funerals.  I guess graduations and funerals are similar in lots of ways.  It is a good enough song, but it still belongs on the list.


4. My Wish by Rascal Flatts

Once again, it's a good enough song.  In fact, one year at Young Women's Camp, the theme was "Songs of the Heart," and each group was a song.  I was a KitKat (YCL) at the time, so I had my group of girls (the You Can Fly Pixies), but the YCLs also had a song.  And this was our song.  The My Wish wishes. We were themed on things you wish on, like white dandelions, wishbones, birthday candles, falling stars, etc.  On the last day of camp, we all sang this song to our girls, and it was a special moment.  But I admit it, it was corny.


5. A Moment Like This by Kelly Clarkson

This one has the prestige of doubling on the Cliche Wedding Songs list.  But it still gets played at graduations.  A moment like graduating from high school.  Because that's the culmination of your life if you are in a teenage drama tv show.


6. Time of your Life by Greenday

Apparently no one listens to lyrics.  This one gets played at weddings too.  Because it says "hope you have the time of your life," it must be a kind thing to celebrate your new beginning.  But he is actually saying it somewhat tongue in cheek to the girl that he is dumping.  All the same, hope you have the time of your life.  I also found out the official name of this song is Good Riddance.


7. Life is a Highway by Rascal Flatts

This man must be the deity of graduations or something.  I have to say that I love this song (and it is from one of my favorite movies), but that doesn't mean it isn't a graduation cliche.


8. We are Young by Fun

This is a new-comer to the list, but it is taking its place among the classics. We shouldn't encourage all the behavior in this song, but high school administration hasn't quite figured all this out yet.


9. The Climb by Miley Cyrus

One of the few good songs she ever wrote, The Climb will be the anthem of graduations for many years to come, taking its place in High School Graduations right next to things like Oh, the Places You'll Go.


10. Defying Gravity from Wicked

I don't get the Wicked craze.  Yes, it has a few good songs; the sets were the best part.  But, it really fades compared to a lot of great musicals.  But, this one has become something for teenagers to sing as they celebrate their individuality while all dressing identically.  



So, now we know what to play as we part ways and cry and start the part of our lives that actually matter.  We'll never forget those important things like who was the homecoming king.  I think it was Rex Steward.  Or prom queen.  I think it was...just kidding, I don't even kind of remember that.

Comments

diane said…
How many graduations, weddings, funerals, do you attend. All we here at Antelope graduations is Pomp and Circumstance, and the National Anthem. At a couple of graduations I've heard some classical presentations, but none of these.
Hannah said…
Well, I have a lot of siblings. And I've gone to high school. And these are played at the graduations, but then also the incessant senior assemblies, slide shows and breakfasts.
Evelyn said…
None of these were ever used at graduations I've attended at DoDDS schools. Three of my 8th grade boys sang Greenday's "Time of Your Life"--one of them accompanied them on the guitar--at the Awards Assembly at the end of their 8th grade year like maybe 2002 or 2003. (They were good, and the performance made me cry.) I haven't been to a graduation, though, since Fun's "We Are Young" showed up on the scene a little over a year ago.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?