"Ti-con-der-oh-gee-a! Bet you can't say Ti-con-der-oh-gee-a!"--Tigger

So, my family visited Fort Ticonderoga!  We left New York right after Sarah's Early-Birthday party on Friday.  We then traveled to the great state of Vermont, which knocked another state off my list.  One of my goals in life is to visit all fifty states at least once, and to meet at least one person who considers themselves a native of each state.  We stayed the night in the college town of Middlebury, VT.  At a Courtyard!  That's really classy for my family.

Then, the next morning, we went to Sharon, VT and visited the Joseph Smith birthplace memorial.  It was fun and I'm glad we went.  It's not really something I'd feel the need to do again.  It was kind of just a granite monument, but it was good to do once.

Then, we headed back to New York to Fort Ticonderoga.  Since or old GPS, Fran the Magellan, is getting old and she loses her wits about her too often, we used our new GPS, Carmen the Garmin.  We told Carmen the Garmin to take us to the ferry that goes across Lake Champlain to get back to New York and it lands right next to Fort Ticonderoga. We were starting to worry about Carmen the Garmin when she took us down a road that got to the point that we were afraid we would have to ask a cow for directions.  Just when we had about told Carmen the Garmin that she was insane, we popped off into a highway and she said, "Board ferry in .2 miles."  And then there was the ferry landing.  We should have never doubted you, Carmen.  It was a fun ferry. It fit a maximum of 18 cars, and there were only 5 of us on the ferry.  It was also a privately owned and operated ferry.  This means it was quite cheap, there were only two people operating the ferry, and it was a ridiculously efficient ferry.

Fort Ticonderoga was a fun place.  It was quite muggy, but still there were all the cannons and the fort.  There were some cool artifacts as well, and some quite knowledgeable "Colonial Soldiers." These "soldiers" were probably only in their early twenties, but I was impressed with both their knowledge and their skills as public speakers and educators.  They were cleaning their muskets while we talked to them.  They were very sweaty, but given the weather and their period garb, I don't blame them.  Fort Ticonderoga is also privately owned and operated, and though this didn't really help the price (or maybe it did, it just would have been even more expensive), they did a good job.  They had a Revolutionary War medicine exhibit that I was very excited for, but it was kind of disappointing and I think they could have done better on that.

Over all, it was fun journey and we had fun during the drive. 

Comments

cg.gwhatch said…
I went to fort Ticonderoga when Your mom was still childish. I wonder if she still remembers that trip.
Hannah said…
She does indeed. She was reminiscing.
Unknown said…
My companion and I in the mission field had to cross Lake Champlain on one of those ferried. It was awesome. Sadly, we forgot the money for our fare, but the person operating =the ferry saw that we were Mormons and trusted that we were honest people. What a relief!!
diane said…
I loved Sharon Vermont when we visited it. We had a campsite over the hill, and I would run over and visit the monument on my own. I remember I felt it had a very peaceful spirit. I also think there were frogs in the reflecting pools. There was also a visitor's center.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?