How Punny!

In the big scheme of things, I have a very different sense of humor than other people.  I don't quite know how I would describe it--maybe dry, sarcastic.  I like to think of it as sophisticated, but perhaps I'm just ingratiating myself to myself.  But, I do not necessarily share everyone's sens of humor.  One form of humor that seems to be in style today is punning.  Especially when that punning involves cheese.

Perhaps its because I am never with the program when it comes to pop culture, but I do not get this type of humor.  I don't find it funny.  When the jury gets in on it, I actually find it obnoxious. I find them to be at a comedic level of roughly the knock-knock joke. Maybe funny when you kind of unintentionally did one or every once in awhile, but just annoying after awhile.  I especially like it when the word actually means that.  I find them especially annoying when they find a word that sounds similar, but isn't actually the word. I concede that I find them clever when there is dual-meaning to the word.  But if this isn't the case, I say they aren't funny at all. 

I especially feel this way when it's a cheese pun.  These are getting almost unbearable. 

"Person 1: I just stubbed my toe!”
Person 2:  Sorry
Person 1:  It's okay.  Hardly hurts anymore.
Person 2: “Well, gouda.”
Person 1:  “It was only a small injury to my feta.”
Person 2: “Do I have your parmesan to kiss it better?”
Person 1: “Of course, but only because I swiss you.”
Person 2: I'm out of cheeses”
Person 1: “I’m much cheddar at this than you.”

Then, there are all the music ones:

Person 1: “Hey, I’m Bach!”
Person 2: “What took you so long? Were you Haydn or something?”
Person 1: “Nope. That was a nice restroom, though it could’ve been an art gallery. It had the Mozart I’ve ever seen!”
Person 1: “So, when we get to town, we have to go Chopin.”
Person 2: “Did you remember the Liszt?”
Person 1: “Yes, I did. We need to get groceries for next Wieck.”
Person 2: “I did make root vegetables. Right before we left I put the Beet(in)hoven.”
Person 1: “You seem as confused as I am. I’m even not sure when our stop is. I am having treble reading this map.”
Person 2: “We should have taken the Ludwig van.”
Person 1: Yes, we should have. So, how’s life?”
Person 2: Godunov. Yours?”
Person 1: “I’ve been under a lot of Strauss lately.”
Person 2: “Oh?”
Person 1: “Yeah, at [school I teach at], it’s hard to be one of the staff.”
Person 2: We should probably stop Messiahing around.”
Person 1: Vivaldi puns, we’re going to knock someone over.”
Person 2: “I guess we just can’t Handel the puns.”
Person 1: “By the time we get off the train, we’ll have Baroquen something!”
Person 2: “Look!”
(There is an ad on the side of the train. It reads ‘classical music radio station is Bach!’.)
Person 1: “No way! It’s right next to where we were standing!”
Person 2: “It must have been Rubinoff on us!”


This is just bad.  You try to excuse this as humor?  It's not.  And it never will be.  So stop trying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?