Book Review: Fablehaven

I figured that I would start blogging regularly again.  And I decided to give this a start by writing a book review. I am extremely behind on book reviews, and I figured that I would be able to write one of those without much trouble. 

This series I finished back at the very beginning of January.  Here we are now, almost June, and I'm just now writing its book review.




(Fablehaven, Rise of the Evening Star, Grip of the Shadow Plague, Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, Keys to the Demon Prison)

Kendra and Seth Sorenson learn that their grandparents are the caretakers of Fablehaven, one of a handful of preserves set up for fantastical creatures.  On the vast lands of Fablehaven, their grandparents are responsible for this wildlife sanctuary full of fairies, satyrs, goblins, trolls, water nymphs and more.  Eventually, they get pulled into a battle against those who want to control the world through the magic that the preserves house, and they are called upon to protect humanity. 

Here's the scoop:  I enjoy Fablehaven.  I really do.  It's an imaginative fantasy with limitless amounts of world-building going into it.  I enjoy that the characters, especially for a children's book, are so very developed and real, and their emotions are very appropriate to their age, but also never underestimated because of their age.  I like that Brandon Mull doesn't talk down to his readers.  If he wants to use an advanced vocabulary word, he uses it.  That's how kids learn, right?

For some reason, Fablehaven books take me forever to read. Not because they're not engaging.  To be honest, I'm not sure why they take me forever to read.  I will sit down to read it, get engrossed and forget the time.  Next thing I know, I've read for an hour and a half. But then I look at how many pages I have progressed, and it's like I've forgotten how to read or something.  I can read Dickens faster.

I do, however, think that Fablehaven in Utah is vastly over-rated.  Because Mull is Mormon.  That's really the only reason.  Perhaps also because it's published by Shadow Mountain.  This phenom isn't as bad as it is for the Michael Vey books, because Fablehaven is legitimately a 4 star (pushing 5) series, where Michael Vey is lucky to get 3.  But all the Utah parents are constantly talking about how their kids LOVE Fablehaven and how it's such a clean series, and so good, and you just can't find anything like it.  I work with kids a lot.  And I talk about books with kids.  Even kids in Utah, a lot of times I ask them how they like Fablehaven and they say, "They're okay, I guess," or "They're fun."  But they aren't the books that make kids' eyes light up and talk about without stopping for breath (and I can tell you what those series are).  They aren't any less violent than your average middle-grade fantasy.  They aren't better than your rightfully published series. They are good.  They aren't the best thing since sliced bread. 

Imaginative and emotionally tangible, Fablehaven is a great series for kids or read aloud.  I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?