40 Bags in 40 Days: Day 40!

We are done people!  Today's declutter isn't really a declutter. It's a check-in.  What has this project done for me?

Well, I wasn't very good about staying consistent, and towards the end it was an exercise in perseverance. Finish what you started.  I think the only problem was that I live in an apartment and I''m fairly organized.  So 40 Days was probably too long.  But, I did come to realize a few things about clutter:

1) It is okay to throw away something that may have a use if you're not actually using it.
2) It is okay to throw away something that was a gift.
3) It is okay to have things, so long as they actually contribute something to your life. 

Since I am moving soon, I'm thinking there will be some radical decluttering going on then, and I will probably use the Japanese method.  My coworker has been doing it and loves it--you hold an item, close your eyes, and if it doesn't give you joy, get rid of it.  You don't need it in your life.

But there's nothing wrong with having items.  Items have purpose.  They have use. And sometimes that use is really about memory or dream, but that's still a use.

But you should never keep something that doesn't have meaning to you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?