Book Review: Endure

“I’ve spent a lifetime practicing, becoming who I must be to survive. Hiding in plain sight, always acting, always playing a part. There are times when I fear that I’ll lose me, my true self, in the haze of the facade. But that fear doesn’t matter to anyone besides myself.” 


Because I tend to not find out about series until they are basically done, and I have a rule that I don't review a series until all of its written installments are released, I tend to not review books that are in a series as much as stand-alones.  This is one series that I have been reviewing since the first installment. 

You can read the previous installments' reviews:

Defy
Ignite




Again, this was the series which was written by the daughter of one of my coworkers.  And I'm glad that I got that introduction into it, because I don't think I would have ever read it without that, and I did enjoy the series.

This was a good conclusion to the series for the most part. I don't regret having read this series at all, and I find that I enjoyed it.

Negatives on this: The ending was a bit Deus Ex Machina for my taste--perhaps a bit rushed. And my favorite characters both got the axe...oh well.

Positives: The world-building in Endure, which struggled a bit with consistency in Ignite and Defy, has finally stabilized. And I like it. Much more imaginative than I thought originally As always, Larson has an ability to build rich characters and character-struggles. Overall, I feel like Larson has really matured as a writer throughout this trilogy, and I think we're arrived at a good place. I'm excited to see what comes next for her.

A Caution: As always, don't criticize something for being a different genre than you want it to be. This has a HEALTHY helping of romance...but it's supposed to. It's teen fantasy romance adventure. So, deal with it. Yes, sometimes I didn't care for the spine shivers, but take it for what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?