Using Popular Songs in Religion

When I was in college, my music in civilization professor talked about how the Catholic Church started to have a fit with polyphony, mostly because polyphony was being used to incorporate bar songs into masses.  Basically, because it got people to actually listen to mass. 

I mentioned this to an LDS person, and they said, "Well, it is kind of inappropriate."

Well, we do it too as Mormons.  I mean, many people know that "Praise to the Man" is the tune of "Scotland the Brave."  Well, folks, there are others.  Today, I noticed another one.

Listen to this song:



Now tell me that it is not the same tune as this:







Or, even better...(and what I was listening to when I noticed) this:






Yeah, we Mormons do it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?