Tales of a Single Woman at Age 25. Get a grip!

I am going to tell you all a story.  An embarrassing story, but I will allow you all to laugh at my expense.  Today, I went to the eye doctor.  Having been wearing glasses since the tender age of seven (barely, I probably needed them at six), I am no stranger to the eye doctor.  So, I went to update my prescription of my glasses. 

This is where I get embarrassed.  They do the whole thing where they puff air into your eye, and make you look at a little red house down a lane (why, I've never actually been sure).  Then, they actually had one of their assistant people do the whole "better with 1, or sharper with 2" deal.  I'm sorry, but they look the same.  Is that okay?  Or am I going blind!?  

So, then they decided to dilate my eyes, always a pleasant experience.  I sit there, waiting for my eyes to dilate. They take me to the waiting area where everyone is progressively getting more and more unable to read the magazines.  I had a book.  Until I could no longer read it. 

Then I met the eye doctor.  The first thing he said to me (after, "Are you Hannah?") was, "Woah! Your eyes are...very dilated."  Yes, dude  You did this to me.  But holy cow, you are one attractive looking man.

His nametag says that he's an MD.  Interesting.   I guess he's an opthalmologist, not an optometrist.  I will have to update his identity in my identity file.  Either way, he's educated and capable of supporting a family.  Darn it, Hannah!  He's your eye doctor.  This is not a romance novel!

I'm wearing a BYU sweatshirt.  He comments on it.  Does that mean he's Mormon? No, it doesn't, Hannah.  This is Utah.  Everyone knows BYU.  But, this is also Utah, so he probably is.

He asks me what I studied at BYU  I tell him and he seems impressed.  He asks me about my job and says, "So you're the person who writes my lab reports.  I never thought about there being a person back there."  That's okay, no one does. But you have more social skills than most doctors.  Stop it, Hannah!

We start into the "better with one or sharper with two," again, because apparently the people before got the same thing as my current glasses.  He was fine tuning it.  Does that mean he wants to spend more time with me?  No.  It means that he's thorough at his job, Hannah. (ALSO A GOOD THING!)

He asks me what I'm doing next.  I tell him about Cincinnati and my PhD program.  He seems more impressed. He says, "Are you thinking about coming back to Utah after that?"  He wants me to come back to Utah!  Stop, Hannah.  He's making small talk. 

I look down at his hand.  No ring.  SQUEE!  Hannah, you just ring-checked the eye doctor!  You have a problem!

"You have very healthy eyes," he says.  He likes me eyes, guys!  He's an opthalmalogist, Hannah.  not the same thing.

I want to say, "Do you like children?" but I don't.

He tells me that I should consider LASIK.  He says that he can do it at this office.  He wants to correct my vision, guys!  Of course he wants to correct your vision, Hannah.  He's an opthalmologist.  That's his job.  Get a grip! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?