Hannah's Guide to Being Healthy

I would never consider myself a health-nut.  I'm really not.  I don't wear Lulu Lemon.  I don't eat organic.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  (and you have my permission to read that King of Siam style).  In fact, I eat processed sugar (gasp!), and I sit in front of my laptop watching a movie with a bag of potato chips sometimes.  There are days when I don't eat a meal because I honestly forget (and yes that is one of my New Year's Resolutions...).  However, I am in the healthy BMI category.  I am in the healthy body fat percentage category. In fact, I'm in the athlete body fat percentage category.  My fasting blood sugar is enviable, and I know people who would kill for my blood pressure.  So, here's my guide to being healthy.

First a disclaimer: Some of these pieces of advice do not apply to morbidly obese people, or people with documented, medical conditions.  Medical conditions do not include thinking that gluten is of the devil.  Medical condition does include an actual autoimmune sensitivity to gluten known as Celiac Disease.  And no, not everyone is sensitive to gluten.  How do I know? I've seen gluten sensitivity testing that have wound up being negative. 

1.  Eat what you want when you want

I know that this sounds crazy.  But guys, I like marshmallows.  And when I want a marshmallow, I eat a marshmallow.  I believe that, generally speaking, cravings are a biological response.  But here's the key:  moderation.  If you want ice cream, eat it.  But don't eat entire tubs of the stuff in one sitting.  That's called gluttony.  And it's one of the Seven Deadly Sins (disclaimer:  I'm Mormon and we don't really "do" 7 Deadly Sins, but they still are sins, even if there's not something cosmic about them). 

Along with the fact that I eat marshmallows whenever I choose, I have developed a very strong like for whole grains.  And almonds.  And fresh fruit and vegetables.  The phlebotomists at work like to laugh at my "rabbit food," because that's usually what I bring to work to eat.  However, they laugh even more, because I'm not a stickler about it.  Sometimes they'll come into the breakroom and I'm eating an ice cream bar.  They'll say, "Give up on your diet?"  and I'll respond, "I was never on a diet. I just like carrots a lot. But the ER hasn't stopped for the past four hours and I wanted ice cream. So, I went downstairs and bought ice cream." 

People tell me, "Just you wait until you don't  have your twenty-four-year-old metabolism." Okay, maybe someday I won't be able to eat anything I want.  But I intend to do just what they tell me.  Just wait until that happens.

2. Find exercise you actually like to do, and NEVER do exercise you hate

 I refuse to run on a treadmill in the pathological fear of being fat.  We are the only animals on this planet, that I know of, who do exercise because we feel like we have to--but hate it.  I hate running. So, I don't run.  I had a roommate in college who was "worried about [me]" because I "don't do cardio."  She has either never seen Irish dancing, or she doesn't know the meaning of cardio--she believed that the only type of cardio is running. 

You need to find three types of activities:  a cardio activity, a strength activity, and a flexibility activity. One activity can cover more than one thing.

Me, I choose Irish dancing (mostly cardio, but some of all three) and yoga (mostly strength and flexibility). 

If you actually love to run, then run. But if you don't, then don't.   You just need to find another type of cardio you love.  Maybe for you it's swimming.  Maybe it's zumba.  Maybe you like to jump-rope.  Maybe you just want to play pick-up basketball.  It doesn't matter, but don't do exercise you don't like doing. 

3. Find a creative outlet

Creativity is good for you.  It is good for your heart (scientifically proven), it is good for your mind and it is good for your soul.  Some people would say they aren't creative.  I'm not very creative, I get that.  But find something where you create something.  Go into your kitchen and see what you can make with the ingredients already in your fridge.  Write.  Paint.  Draw with sidewalk chalk.  Decorate cupcakes. I don't care, but creative outlets are good for you.  For me, it's cooking and writing.

4. Find a meditative activity

Find an activity that lets your mind wander.  Some people meditate.  Me, personally, I do this while I am playing the piano.  But we don't let our minds wander enough.

5. Be a child

They have found that there are immense positives to adults using coloring books.   Let yourself be a child sometimes. This is best done with children, but can be done without.  When I was in college, I would blow bubbles on campus during breaks sometimes.  You'd be surprised how many people I didn't know would chase the bubbles, pop the bubbles, or ask if they could have a turn. We want to be children sometimes, and I think it's good for you.

6. Connect with God.

Pray, read scriptures and go to the temple.  It's good for you.

7. Don't do things you hate

I'm not saying you never have to do something you don't want to do.  I personally don't really LIKE paying my rent, but I have to do it.   However, don't have a job you hate.  Spend the majority of your time doing things you love to do.

8. Keep your space clean

It is good for your mind and your mental health.  Keep your space (room, house, apartment, whatever) clean.  When I don't, that's when my mind starts to deteriorate.

9. Serve other people

The best way to be happy is to serve other people.  Stop focusing on yourself so much, and you'll find yourself a lot happier.

10.  Never stop learning

Read non-fiction. Watch documentaries.  Take a class. Listen to podcasts, online lectures, or take web-courses (there are great, free, online college courses).  But don't ever stop learning.  Learn a new language.  Brush up on a topic you took in college but don't remember.  


And these are the ten steps to being a healthy person!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?