Book Review: The Five Ancestors

Lots of series reading going on right now. However, I just finished the last one for this series, so now I can review it!



The Five Ancestors series revolves around the "founders" of the five major branches of kung-fu.  Fu, Malao, Hok, Seh and Long have to save China from the evil usurpers who destroyed their home, Cangzhen temple.  Tiger, Monkey, Crane, Snake and Dragon. At first, I was nonplussed.  It seemed like it would be enjoyable for 2-5 grade boys, but it lacked any real substance and contribution.  My reaction after the first book, "I already saw Kung-Fu Panda, and all of the characters are the same as the characters from Ninjago." I mean, without exception.  Tiger in my mind (Fu) sounded like Cole.  Crane (Hok) sounded like Zane. Monkey (Malao) sounded like Kai.  And Grandmaster sounded like Sensei Wu.

I think that the biggest problem was new author.  The first two or so were very amateurly written, and the characters were all archetypes, the plot was prosaic.  But, as the series progresses, Jeff Stone starts to hit his stride, and things are not as simple as they may have seemed, and the characters grow subtleties that make them much more interesting.  It still isn't as intricate as epic fiction, but it isn't plodding along anymore--it becomes a good, and enjoyable fit for kids and those who like kids' books.

There is some potty-humor (especially in the first two), but definitely dies down.  They are kung-fu masters who are trying to save China, so there is blood, bones breaking, violence, poison, crippling, etc. etc.

The first few are quick throw-away reads.  After reading the first, Tiger, I thought, "Meh...I'll read them all, anyways.  They're quick and if I ever meet a boy who doesn't want to read but needs a book, they might be a good fit."  By the last, Dragon, I didn't want to put it down and read it in one sitting.

Three stars for the whole series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?