15 Fictional Vacation Locations

My favorite website, goodreads.com, released the 15 Best Fictional Vacation Locations, along with chosen tour-guide, and activities.  I have decided to analyze the picks.

This all really reminds me of my 4th year at Young Women's Camp, when the theme was "Can you Imagine?" (Alma 5:16).  Every group was a different imaginary land.  We were Atlantis.  

1. PEMBERLEY (Pride and Prejudice)
Tour guide: Mr. Darcy
Suggested activities: A swim in the lake, a fencing class, an unexpected reunion with a suitor you just rejected

My thoughts:  I could enjoy this one.  I would also want to see the house.  Because that's what people go to Pemberley for, right.  And I'd want to meet Georgianna, because she's always just seemed like so much fun! 

2. ANKH MOPORK (Discworld)
Tour Guide: Samuel Vimes or Rincewind
Suggest activities: Drinks at the Mended Drum, a lecture at the Unseen University (if you can find it), a visit to the Dwarf Bread Museum

Never read this book...no thoughts.

3. THE SHIRE (Lord of the Rings)
Tour guide: Frodo Baggins or Samwise Gamgee
Suggested activities: Boat rides down the Brandywine River, singing on tables at the Green Dragon Inn, a Gandalf firework show 

Thoughts:  So, is this going to be before the ring?  After the ring?  During the ring?  While Saruman controls the Shire?  Because I think that these are all very important questions that need answering.  

4. THORNFIELD HALL (Jane Eyre)
Tour guide: Edward Rochester
Suggested activities: A walk around the grounds, reading in the library, a hunt for violently insane ex-wives locked in the attic

Thoughts:  I think I'll pass on this one.  Rochester was a nut and I definitely don't want to go on a tour of a creepy house with him.  I would fear for my virtue. 

 5. NARNIA (Chronicles of Narnia)
Tour guide: Aslan or Reepicheep
Suggested activities: Afternoon tea with Mr. Tumnus, a ride on the Dawn Treader, dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Beaver

Thoughts:  Yes, please.  So long as we're not going during the reign of the White Witch, but since we're going to ride on the Dawn Treader, it must be after.  But then, how are we going to have tea with Mr. Tumnus, or dinner with the Beavers.  I'm getting confused on the temporal-setting of our visit!

6. AVONLEA (Anne of Green Gables)
Tour Guide: Anne Shirley
Suggested activities: A poem reenactment by the river, hair makeovers (black or green?), drinks with Diana 

Thoughts:  Oh, yes.   Ever so much yes.  While we're there, can we learn whether or not Gilbert has a brother? 

7. BRAKEBILLS (The Magician)
Tour guide: Quentin Coldwater or Dean Fogg
Suggested activities: A game of Welters, simple charm lessons with Professor March, lunch at the Physical Kids' bungalow

No thoughts.  Never read this book.

8. WONDERLAND (Alice in Wonderland)
Tour guide: The Mad Hatter
Suggested activities: A chat with the Caterpillar, a Mad Tea Party, croquet with the Queen of Hearts

Thoughts:  I don't want my head chopped off by the Queen of Hearts.  And the Mad Hatter is kind of scary.  When all is said and done, I think I'll pass on this one.

9. PERN (Dragonriders of Pern)
Tour guide: Lessa
Suggested activities: Impression of a dragon, destroying deadly Thread, traveling backwards and forwards through time

No thoughts.  Never read this.

10. WINTERFELL (Game of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice)
Tour guide: Tyrion Lannister or Arya Stark
Suggested activities: Construction, scaling the walls of the Broken Tower, paying your respects at the crypt of Winterfell 

Thoughts:  I kind of like living.  So, visiting anywhere in this world might not be a grand plan.  Also, on the tour guide, Tyrion Lannister would be a terrible guide of Winterfell.  If we're only visiting Winterfell, you definitely need a Stark to be your tour guide.  A Lannister wouldn't know any of the good hidden nooks or crannies or stuff.  And if we're scaling walls, we need Bran. So, I would assume we're doing this PRIOR to the start of the first book...or that would be difficult anyways.

11. PANEM (Hunger Games)
Tour guide: Katniss Everdeen
Suggested activities: Volunteering as tribute, joining a rebellion, re-thinking your decision to go to Panem

Thoughts:  Again, I like living.  Though I, statistically, have a better chance of living in Panem than in Westeros. 

12. REDWALL (Redwall)
Tour guide: Matthias
Suggested activities: A delicious feast in the Great Hall, fishing at the Redwall Abbey Pond, fighting off an evil army of anthropomorphic rats

Thoughts:  I'm not a Woodland creature, so I wouldn't fit anywhere.

13. NEVERLAND (Peter Pan)
Tour guide: Peter Pan or Tinker Bell
Suggested activities: A dip in Mermaids' Lagoon, campfire parties with the Lost Boys, pirate treasure hunts at Skull Rock

Thoughts:  This sounds like a lot of fun.  Let's do this.

14. HOGWARTS (Harry Potter)
Tour guide: Hagrid
Suggested activities: Playing Quidditch, taking a few classes, using a Time-Turner to relive your visit over and over again 

Thoughts:  Do I stay a Muggle?  If so...that would be boring. Plus, the Time-Turner would only work if I could go an infinite number of times.  I think a Pensieve would be better.

15. OZ (Wizard of Oz)
Tour guide: Glinda the Good Witch
Suggested activities: Following the Yellow Brick Road, landing houses on wicked witches, paying no attention to the man behind the curtain

Thoughts:  Never really been that big of a fan of Oz, to be completely honest...

Places I'd like to go: I think I'd really want to go to Camp Half-blood.   Then to Maycomb County in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?