Books for Elementary School Girls

Since publishing my list of books for elementary school boys, I have gotten several requests for a similar list for girls.  I was excited to make the list.  However, I have a confession to make:  I am a girl, but I tend to like "boy books" more.  First I will start by saying that most of the books on my "boy list" could definitely be enjoyed by girls, so first, the carry-overs:

 Percy Jackson, Spiderwick Chronicles, Fablehaven, 39 Clues, Half Magic, Holes, Among the Hidden, Artemis Fowl, Joey Pigza, The Giver, Boys Against Girls

Of course, any and all could carry-over, but those ones especially.   Now, for the especially-for-girls list.

1) The Humming Room by Ellen Potter (a modernization of The Secret Garden).  I hate Frances Hodgson Burnett. I hate the stories.  I hate the writing.  I hate the characters. So I cannot, in good conscience, put anything by her on this list.  However, lots of girls like her, so there you go.  And I did like this modernization of it.  Stand-alone book.
2) The Books of Elsewhere by Jacqueline West.  First books is The Shadows
3) Lyddie by Katherine Paterson.  Stand-alone
4) Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson. Stand-alone  Note:  NOT a romance.  I once recommended it to someone who said, "I can't stand romance."  It's a quote from the Bible:  "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated." It's not a romance.
5) Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson--okay anything by Katherine Paterson, but especially these three.
6) Theodosia Throckmorton by R.L. LaFevers.  First one is Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos
7) Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale.  First in series is Goose Girl
8) Dear America by various authors.  Order doesn't matter.
9) Royal Diaries by various authors (just like Dear America, but instead of girls from different parts of American history, they're all royalty figures from history--Marie Antoinette, Anastasia, Elizabeth I, Nzinga, etc).  Order doesn't matter.
10) Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.  First is Anne of Green Gables, but there are eight of them, and lots of people haven't read to the end and are missing out.
11) Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer L Holm.  Was a stand-alone, but after twelve years, she just published a sequel (which I haven't read yet)
12) The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. Stand alone
13) Princess Tales by Gail Carson Levine. First published was Princess Test, I think, but they can easily be read out of order, as each is an independent retelling of a separate fairy tale.
14) Shoe Books by Noel Streatfield.  First is Ballet Shoes.
15) Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
16) Matilda by Roald Dahl
17) Once Upon a Time Books mostly by Cameron Dokey, but later started getting some other authors.  First one is The Storyteller's Daughter, but they're fairy retellings that can be read in any order.
18) Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald.


Next lists to be written:  Teen Boys, and Teen Girls.

Comments

Evelyn said…
A lot of my male students have read Number the Stars and refer to it in discussion.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?