Books for Elementary School Boys



As more and more people learn that I am a book crazy, they are always asking me for book recommendations. Which I love doing.  I get a natural high from recommending a book and then hearing that someone liked it, especially kids. But like I was saying, people always want book recommendations. Oftentimes for their children.    And usually for their boys.  They tell me that their boys don't read for fun, and they want them to.

My first piece of advice is this:  If you don't read for fun, why should they?  Now, if you don't like to read, that's fine.  You can still be a good, intelligent person.  However, if you want your boy to be a recreational reader, you need to be one as well.  It's as simple as that.  Don't be a hypocrite.  However, I can recommend some good books for boys.  These are good books for boys about 8-12/13.  Some of them, however, could be too hard for some on the younger end of that.  If you want to know how hard they are, just ask me.  I have marked ones especially good for reluctant readers with an asterisk.

1) Spirit Animals by several authors--First in series is called Wild Born
2) Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan--  It is also worth noting that all of the heroes in this series are dyslexic and ADHD, and I have heard it doing great things emotionally for kids in those categories especially, as well as the reading and loving it.  The spin-off series, Heroes of Olympus, however, is not children's.  It is definitely in YA.   First in series is The Lightning Thief
3) *Five Ancestors by Jeff Stone--they're kind of mundane to me, but reluctant readers would LOVE them. First in series is Tiger.
4) *Blood Guard by Carter Roy--a new series, but it will take off.  First in series is called The Blood Guard
5) Seven Wonders by Peter LeRangis--First in series is Rise of the Colussus
6) *Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony diTerlizzi--lots of good "family issues" stuff in these.  First in series is The Field Guide
7) Fablehaven by Brandon Mull--It's Spiderwick Chronicles for more advanced/mature readers, really. First in series is called Fablehaven
8) Janitors by Tyler Whitesides.  First is called Janitors
9) 39 Clues by several authors.  First in series is Maze of Bones
10) Half Magic by Edward Eager. Stand-alone
11) Holes by Louis Sachar. Stand-alone
12) Airman by Eoin Colfer. Stand-alone
13) Indian in the Cupboard by Lynn Reid Banks.  First in series is called Indian in the Cupboard.
14) *Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix--I actually don't like these books, but that doesn't mean a lot of people don't. First in series is called Among the Hidden
15) *Joey Pigza by Jack Gantos--main character has ADHD. First in series is Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key.
16) Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer.  First in series is Artemis Fowl
17) The Giver by Lois Lowry (and sequels).  First in series is The Giver.  Then Gathering Blue.  Then Messenger.  Then Son. 
18) Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. First in series is The Book of Three.
19) James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.  Stand-alone, to my knowledge
20) *Boys against Girls Series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. The first in the series is The Boys Start the War.


And, almost as important: books intended for boys that age that I definitely DO NOT recommend.  These are ones I've seen recommended for reluctant readers all the time, but just because they're reading doesn't mean it's a good thing.

1) How to Train Your Dragon--I loved the movie, so when I learned it was based on a book, I was ecstatic to read them.  I was thoroughly disappointed.  The tender story of the movie was gone and replaced by a crude rendering of ill-thought-out characters and a lot of potty-humor.

2) Diary of a Wimpy Kid--a book that teaches kids that being selfish is cool and funny.  This child is disrespectful, rude, mistreats his friends and manipulates everyone he runs into.  All played for laughs.

3) Captain Underpants--just potty-humor and more potty-humor with nothing redeeming about it.  I don't mind some potty-humor in an otherwise good book, but books revolving around potty-humor because apparently it's just the reading that kids need, and not the character development that they can obtain from stories?  No. 

If you have suggestions, let me know.  If you want other types of book-lists, let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?