Book Review: The Romeo and Juliet Code

“Not belonging is a terrible feeling. It feels awkward and it hurts, as if you were wearing someone else's shoes.” 


So, there might be a sequel to this book, but I'm not actually sure.  So, if there is, I may read it.  If not, then I won't.  But, even though I don't usually review incomplete series, I will review this one.


Felicity Budwig Bathburn is a British girl who is sent to live with her father's American family during WWII.  But, it would seem that her parents aren't just going back to England. They are moving further into the front--to Portugal, over the Pyrenees, etc.  Why?  And who is this Captain Derek that everyone talks about? And why won't Uncle Gideon let her see the letters?  And what happened between Uncle Gideon and Felicity's father, Danny, so that they don't talk to one another anymore.

First of all, I will say that this book is completely mis-marketed.  Note, the cover, but also the fact that the spine is red with white polka-dots.  When I pulled the book off the shelf (it was right next to one I was looking for), the cover made me think it was a realistic-fiction, kind of silly children's take on crushes.  The title too.  I would have never pegged it as a WWII children's espionage kind of book.  Never.  And the kids who would pick it up for its design and marketing would be disappointed, and the kids who would enjoy it would probably never pick it up.  Besides, it looks like an Old Navy catalog...and did they even have pink converse in WWII?

Second, the writing was mediocre, the British author struggled with American speech patterns (most characters had British accents in my mind, because they talked like they were British), and the story was slightly disjointed.  I see British people on the internet all the time saying "Stupid American writer who doesn't understand British speech."  So, I will say, "Stupid British writer who can't write an American talking to save their life."  Also, at the end, I was gearing up for tears at the big emotional climax because of what I thought was happening.  Then, that didn't happen, and the tears were sucked up back into my eyes because it was cliche and stupid. 

If you are going to have a crippled boy who hides in a room, don't openly reference Frances Hodgson Burnett throughout your story, or the parallel becomes even more obvious and not in an allusion way--just in an unoriginal way. 

It had cute moments, and was better than I was expecting in some ways.  I did care about the characters for the most part, and it is a creative concept for a story.  However, it still wasn't great. 

3 stars. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?