Why do I like Joyce?

At my family reunion, my uncle asked me what I liked about James Joyce. Here's why: I only like some of his work. He's an intriguing man, who has some good things to say. Ulysses is nuts, Chambermusic is weird, and I have to admit, I find Finnegan's Wake incredibly hilarious, but I couldn't do with more than two lines at a time.

But, awhile ago, I made this slide show about Dubliners, and I'll put it here:






The interesting parody about the music I chose (I thought it fit very well), is that the group, Battlefield Band, all the members are actually Scottish.

Comments

diane said…
Deep insights. I'm taking your word because I haven't read Joyce for 15 years and really can't remember him all that well. I do remember alcohol was a major part of his work and fighting with women. Being the art major, I could use a few more visuals.
Beth said…
well, I just have to say you forgot to mention the potato famine. I remember that the best answers to any question about the Irish in IB English were "drinking" and "the potato famine." Didn't fly when my humanities class tried to use it in History, though. For the record, the first Irish immigration did not happen because of the potato famine. Or drinking.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?