What's up?

Well, first of all, everyone, I have no TB. Good news there, right? Yeah, I had a really weird red bump for my TB test, but I have been declared negative anyways. It's a little frightening that when you get them read, a lady comes into the waiting room, brushes her finger over your arm and then hands you an already printed out sheet that says you're negative. It wasn't THAT big ever though. Probably like 1.5 cm in diameter at the largest point.

Anyways, what's going on in CNA school? Well, I can now take blood pressure, pulse and respiratory rate can TECHNICALLY take temperature, make and change sheets in an occupied bed, catch falling people without injuring myself regardless of weight, can roll people over to any desired position, can assist with Passive Range of Motion exercises, can put a bedpan under somebody even if they cannot lift their hiney, can care for ostomy bags and catheters, give bed baths, know how to clean the gender-determining parts of either gender, can dress people, can transfer people from beds to wheelchairs, can assist weak people at walking, give oral care and comb hair, clean nails, feed people who cannot feed themselves, give back rubs (in theory...I'm probably just as terrible at it as ever) and other miscellaneous knowledges. Some of that list is a little bit disturbing, but hey, somebody's got to do it. In the future, I will be learning about CPR and AIDS, and practicing all this stuff and weighing people and taking height (I don't really think either of those belong on the particularly difficult list).

I have also been thoroughly briefed on treating elderly people with dignity and respecting and being sensitive to embarrassment of these people who cannot do these things themselves. As well as what to do in case people become violent, how to help with Alzheimers, things never to do, things to report to nurses and all that good stuff. By the way everyone: THEY ARE NOT ADULT DIAPERS. They are referred to as incontinence briefs, or adult briefs. Diapers are for children. And our book is sometimes like, "Nursing Assistance for Dumbies." Our favorites so far include, "AIDS is when the immune system doesn't work too well" and "homeostasis is when everything in the body can work at its complete function." Yeah. I know. Pretty obvious.

So...there is my life.

Comments

diane said…
I didn't know what homeostasis means. Sometimes the obvious is not very obvious to me.
Hannah said…
But you see, the thing is that homeostasis is not that. That is an EXTREMELY simplified explanation. I agree, not everyone should know what homeostasis is, but if you're going to explain, actually explain. Don't make simplified explanations as if we're stupid or something.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?