Fantabulous "Spiritual Experience"?

The other day, I made a dinner from a website called Recipe Roulette.  I find this website fantastic because I love to cook--especially new things-- but I am not very creative. Unless I'm having a particularly creative day, I can't think of anything to cook.  So, Recipe Roulette tells me what to cook.  Randomly.

Now in order to understand this story, you must understand something about me.  If I could pick any nationality on earth to be based solely on their cuisine it would be Greek. I love the taste of olives.  And olive oil.  And herbs are one of the best things ever.  Their cheeses are fantastic.  I like fish.  Pita bread is fantastic.  And I like eggplant.  And zucchini. And basically everything Greek food stands for. 

I randomly got this Greek pasta salad with feta and artichokes and the most amazing herb oil ever.  Smelling it cooking was a form of heaven.  As I tasted it, I thought, "This is a spiritual experience." And then I felt bad, because that was first impulse. And my first impulse was sacrilegious.

Then I thought, "maybe that isn't a sacrilege."  Because why can't it be a spiritual experience?  If Heavenly Father had wanted, He could have made all food taste like cream of wheat--not bad, but just kind of bland.  Or He could have even not given us a sense of taste or smell.  But no. He decided that He wanted us to be able to enjoy food, and the art that it creates.  He wanted us to be able to create and express through food.  He decided to put things on earth like garlic and mint and oregano and fennel seeds and cilantro and onions and rosemary and sage to smell good and make things taste amazing.  He decided to make bell peppers red and orange and yellow so that food could be prettier.  He made every animal taste different--think about it.  And every plant gives us something different. And then, on top of that, He decided to make us creative individuals who can invent something as beautiful as pasta.  I make no secret of the fact that I love pasta.  And even though most every culture has invented a form of pasta, the Mediterraneans do it like no one else, and semolina pasta wins.  Humans are creative to have invented it. Humans are creative to invented a multitude of shapes of it. Any time you create is an expresssion of your divine origins and traits...so God gave us the ability to take little strips of goodness and form them into penne, rotini, farfalle and more.  I've always heard how the fact that so many plants have medicinal value means God loves us, but the fact that we can make tasty food out of them means that God loves us. 

So, I will say it again.  It was a spiritual experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?