Ultimate Falling With Style

So, in my ward, the music director just knows who plays what and just assigns you a week for special musical number.  It's probably more effective than the normal way, but I've never seen that before.  So, I was informed that on June 8th, I am the special musical number.  I was told that I could play violin or piano.  I thought about it, and have decided to play violin.  But there aren't lots of good LDS arrangements for just violins, and I didn't want to have to ask someone to accompany, so I made my own.  Violins can be pretty by themselves.  I chose "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief," both because it kind of feels pioneery and Western, and because it's a hymn that heavily touches on feeling very alone.  I thought a lone violin would be very appropriate.  But this is a great opportunity for falling with style.  This is the first time I played the whole thing after finishing arranging.  So, this is the ultimate falling with style.  I have to come to grips with the fact that I made mistakes in the arranging, and the playing.

Obviously, it has lot of work before June 8th, but I think I can do it.




Comments

Amy R said…
I think I really like your arrangement. I like the double stops. You have plenty of time to still work on the performance. Since it is a contemplative melody, I would maybe even vary the tempo more--get slower in spots. Hmm. . . That's something; I rarely tell anyone to play a hymn slower.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?