My Egregious Cooking Error

I was cooking dinner tonight.  I know.  Surprising.  But I cook every night, so it's not super new.  Anyways, I had thawed out the pork yesterday, but after seeing today's all-day downpour, I decided it was a soup-like day.  So, I shelved the pork idea for tomorrow, and commenced the making of my much-beloved chickpea and tomato soup.  This soup consists of chickpeas, onion, garlic, chicken broth, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes.  It was a plus that I got to use some of cilantro plant, which is getting a little out of hand.

So, I was cooking along and then it was time to add the spices.  I started putting in the cumin, and my first thought was, "That's really dark cumin."  Then, I got a whiff of it and then I thought, "That is not cumin."  Apparently, when I reached into the c section of the spices for the cumin, I pulled out cinnamon instead.  My first thought was that the soup was ruined and would need to be scrapped. But, I thought, "Well, I could do a mexican-hot-chocolate type thing with cinnamon in a spicy-ish soup."  So, I tasted it and thought, "I think I can rescue this."  So, I just pretended the cinnamon never happened, added the cumin and the cilantro and everything else. 

I think that it had a slight cinnamon after-taste.  Grandpa insists that he couldn't taste it at all.  However, I salvaged it!

Comments

Amy R said…
Mmmm, cinnamon soup.
cg.gwhatch said…
It tasted alright to me.
p said…
Cinnamon and cumin are used quite a bit together from the middle east, africa and on over to India. The rest of your ingredients fit on that same spectrum as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?