Some Info For When I Die

I like to read obituaries.  I know.  That is weird.  But I find it inspiring, so back off.  Anyways, while reading these obituaries, I had a few thoughts about when I die, which I shall share with you all:

1) There will not be a viewing.  I think that viewings are morbid.  After I die, I am to go in the coffin and then it doesn't open up again.You can all see me again when we're all resurrected together, and that's that.

2) You may not refer to me as an "Elect Lady."  Obits in Utah do this a lot.  Don't. It's cliche.

3) Include how I died.  Especially if I die tomorrow, a lot of people's insatiable curiosity will want to know what killed an otherwise-healthy 23-year-old.  Everyone wants to know.  At least I do.

4) Do not make my death sound dramatic or heroic, unless it was, and then include details.  If I died saving small children in a bus crash, or if I take a bullet for someone, by all means, let everyone know that.  However, I don't want the words"After a long and valiant battle with [disease which everyone knows about but it still has awareness runs every year]" anywhere in my obituary.  Just say, "Hannah died from x."  Mostly, I don't want anyone with moral struggles over whether to say it was a long and valiant battle when, in reality it lasted three weeks and I was kind of a whiny wuss about it.

5) I want all my grandchildren named. I hope that my grandchildren count as more than collection pieces on a shelf.  Don't say, "survived by x number of grandchildren." I know obituaries are paid for by the word.  So, if it's a cost problem, take out some of the adjectives and put in the grandkids.

6) If I die before having children, put my nieces and nephews in there.

That is all.

Comments

Amy R said…
Good to know. I'm with you on the viewing thing. Just put me in a pine box, no need to even embalm me. I'm even leaning toward cremation, but I don't know what the church's stance on that is.
Evelyn said…
No viewing for me, and I would like to be cremated.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?