Happy New Year!

Happy 2014, everyone!  I have had an interesting relationship with New Year Celebrations for a long time.  There's a part of me that just doesn't get it.  Actually, there's a huge part of me that just doesn't get it.  What is so special about New Year?  I know it's supposed to be a new beginning and all, but if you really wanted a change in your life, there is no reason you couldn't start that with April 26th if you so chose.  You can change whenever you want.  Don't wait for the arbitrary time to change things if you are not happy with the way things are.

When I was in highschool, I had a boyfriend who I allowed to read my novels as they were being written.  This was a mistake for many reasons, but that's what it was at the time.  As a side note, because some find it appropriate to ask if every boyfriend I ever had would be someone I could think about marrying, the answer is no.  He's a good man, and from what I can tell, a better man today than he was then.  But we broke up for very good reasons, and I wish him the best.  Back to what I was saying though, he once said that I was very jaded against New Year's.  One of my favorite novels I've written is set in End-of-WWI and Post-WWI America.  At their New Year, one character wishes another, "Happy 1919."  The character responds, without any sarcasm at all, "Good riddance 1918."  Now, I'm sure that those with historical perspective could see how this would be a very year-specific pessimism.  1918 was not a good year for really anybody, and it was especially bad for this character.  But this boyfriend told me that this statement felt too real for it to be just character saying that.   I guess I should say, "Thank-you.  I'm glad my characters are real."  However, I've come to realize that maybe he was right.

I especially realized this when I was letting my mind wander a few days ago and thought, "It's almost 2014.  Thank HEAVENS that 2013 is over."  So, we shall discuss this in detail.  Should I be thanking heavens that 2013 is over?

The good of 2013
-I graduated from college
-I got a full-time job
-I went through the temple

The bad of 2013
-I got engaged only to have it fall apart and have my heart ripped out of my body

Maybe that sounds dramatic, and it is, but it's also figuratively true.  I will not say literally, because then I will fear that Captain Literally will come and rip my heart out of my body, which would be quite gruesome.  If you don't know who Captain Literally is, may I refer you here.  But, I guess I shouldn't be cursing 2013.  Oh well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?