For Abbie Claire

Yesterday, on New Year's Day, my first niece, Abbie Claire, was born.  I have three nephews, but having a niece feels different.  In my religion, it is believed that women are mothers, and that their maternal responsibilities are not limited to children to whom they gave physical birth.  So, I feel that my nephews and my niece fall within my maternal responsibilities.  I don't want to downplay giving birth and that miracle. It is a miracle.  And I know the feelings going through my mind right now are not a quarter of those going through the mind of my sister, but I still have thoughts that I want to give to Abbie Claire.

Abbie, I want you to know that you come into a world that is hostile to women.  By this, I do not mean that men try to keep us in the kitchen.  In fact, I'm not really talking about the men at all.  You will have women throughout your life try to tell you that you are the same as a man.  Do not believe them.  Men are good and men are important.  But you are not one.  You are a woman.

There are strong and important women to whom you may look.  Do not be deceived to think that a woman who is "liberated" is a woman who is good.  Don't even think that means that she is free.  The most beautiful thing about women is that they are kind.  That they are gentle.  That they are good.  There is a reason that in art soldier angels are depicted as men, where the comforting angels are markedly feminine.

On this same vein, do not fall victim to the idea that men are not important.  Men are not merely a source of sperm.  They have not been made unimportant by the miracles of artificial insemination.  That may be true of dairy cows, but it is not true of humans.  You have a good father, Abbie Claire, and you have a brother.  You have good men in your extended family, too.  Look to them. Look at the way that your father treats your mother, and the things that he does for your family, and then tell me that men are insignificant.

Finally, Abbie Claire, do not fall victim to the belief that because you are a woman, you are nothing else.  You are a mother; that is not a limiting word, but a freeing one.  Like Deborah of the Book of Judges, remember that a woman can change the tide of the world.  But like Deborah, remember that at the end of the day, you are a Mother in Israel.  It's a good thing that I, sitting here at twenty-three, graduated from BYU and no husband at my side, know that I have worth even without a husband and having no children at my feet.  But don't forget that I am still a Mother in Israel.  Divine Nature is something you are born with, and not something you are given.  Your Divine Nature is that of a woman.  The Divine Nature of a woman is to be a Mother in Israel.

"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity."--Margaret D. Nadauld

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?