New Lessons from the Old Testament: Chronicles 17

As many of you know, I am a big fan of the Old Testament.  It is actually my favorite standard work.  At BYU, you kind of got dirty looks if you ranked any of the standard works above The Book of Mormon, but it's true.  I still believe in The Book of Mormon, and love it dearly.  However, I identify with the people of the Old Testament more and it speaks to me.

I think part of why people don't like the Old Testament as much is that they don't think that it is as relevant to them.  I beg to differ.  You just have to know where to look in the Old Testament.

Today, I share an important lesson from the Old Testament.  It's a lesson that answers what I think is the most-commonly asked question in the LDS Church:  How do I know when the Holy Ghost is giving me inspiration, verses me just wanting it and imagining the inspiration?  It's a very valid question.  I know sometimes I have asked it.

However, the answer is given in Chronicles 17.  So, backstory:  David is the king of Israel at this point, and Nathan is the prophet.  Since we've gotten that out of the way, we shall continue.  David feels that he wants to build a temple for God.  He says that though he, David, lives in the finest of houses, the Ark of the Covenant still dwells in a tent (do you like my Book of Mormon language there?).  He asks Nathan to ask God if He'd like a house.

Nathan immediately tells David, "Do all that is in thine heart; for God is with thee."  Eventually, God says that David is not to build him a temple, because it's not the priority right now, and Solomon will take care of it.  However, Nathan's answer addresses our question. He doesn't have to seek out that revelation from God.  All he needs to know is if David has the spirit with him.

If we have the Holy Ghost as our companion, the goal is that, eventually, our wills and desires and thoughts will align with the desires of God.  So, how do you know if it's God or you?  Live righteously, and if you are, then you will know the difference between God's desires and yours:  There isn't one.  (I should give credit and say that the thought processes for this came from a talk by Elder Snow of the Seventy at my Stake Conference at BYU one year).

Comments

Amy R said…
Interesting insight. I liked it. Now I'll have to reread Elder Snow's talk.
Amy R said…
Oh, I just noticed it was at your stake conference, not general conference. I guess I can't reread it.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?