Book Review: Pendragon: The Merchant of Death

“Whenever you look back and say "if" you know you're in trouble. There is no such thing as "if". The only thing that matters is what really happened.” 


Today, it snowed.  And Grandpa and I turned all the sprinklers and such off to avoid the freezing.  It was an interesting process, but I gut-er-done, even if I did get fairly wet! Anyways, sometimes I read a book because the thought struck me.  Not because I had it recommended to me or anything like that.  And that was the case with this book, Pendragon: The Merchant of Death.





I have to start with a disclaimer:  this book is quite sci-fi.  I don't like Sci-Fi, so take my review with a grain of salt.

Actually, for science fiction, I liked this book pretty well.  Here's my problem biggest problem with this book, and science fiction in general.  They try to explain impossible things with science, and usually they misuse science, or their understanding of the science is thready at best.  In this case, Bobby Pendragon is a traveler.  Travelers are people who move from world to world and time to time and dimension to dimension saving the world (or rather universe...or whatever it is).  They do this by moving around through flumes.  This is supposedly explained by some loose and weak understanding of relativity and space-time contraction.  Then, the science explanations fell apart.  Because only Travelers can do it.  So, then we're back in fantasy (which I like better, anyways).

They did give me a good idea of how I can make my narrative-style work for my NaNoWriMo this year, and I feel like this book is something a lot of people would really, really like.  It just wasn't my cup-of-tea.  Add to it the very-obvious-anti-nuclear-weapon message and it just wasn't me.

On the plus, the characters were interesting and multi-faceted, and the writing style was engaging.  I just wasn't hot on the whole premise.  This is a series, and I don't really foresee myself reading the rest of them.  However, if you like sci-fi and this specific style of book, you might enjoy this book.

I give it 2 stars, but you might enjoy it. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?