10 Things For College Students

At the end of my college life, I impart what wisdom I gained.  Here's my wisdom:  go outside of the box.  Never again will so many opportunities just ask to be taken advantage of.  Here are ten out of the box things that I don't regret having done in college (actually 20, because there are two groups).

First, Ten Courses I Took In College That Were Not Required For My Major that I Have Never For a Second Regretted Taking

1. Advanced Ethnic Irish Dance:  I love Irish dance.  But I majored in Medical Lab Science.  At the same time, this was an opportunity to really indulge in my hobbies and learn a lot more about Irish Dance.  And get college credit for it.

2. The Old Testament:  We all know how much I love the Old Testament. This class only helped solidify it, and helped me to understand it so much better.  To have a man who has dedicated his life to the study of the Old Testament sit up there and explain Ezekiel to you?  There's nothing better.

3. World Religions:  This class was one big exercise in wow.  I especially liked that my professor, after each religion was "done" in the course, would do a compare and contrast with Mormonism.  And even though it was controversial, he would have us discuss things that that religion maybe did better than Mormonism.  For example, maybe the Jews are better at obedience than us.  Maybe the Sikhs are better at having reverence for holy scriptures.  Perhaps the Muslims understand respect for God better.  It was an eye-opening class that I has helped shape my thought-process.

4. Biblical Hebrew: Yes, I was the ONLY non-Ancient-Near-Eastern-Studies Major in the course.  Whoops.  But I loved it all the same.  I learned so much about languages, culture, the scriptures and their context and more in the class.  And I made some great friendships (including my professor, Carli, because I kind of want to be like her when I grow up).

5. American Christianity:  This was another eye-opening class.  I think one of the things that was so helpful about this class is that, even though I grew up around all sorts of other Christians, I didn't know what the difference between a Methodist and a Presbyterian was.  I didn't understand what Christians even meant when they said "Saved by grace and not by works."  It turns out that most other Christians agree with us on that, we just use the language differently.  There are some HUGE differences between Mormonism and the rest of Christianity.  Don't get me wrong.  But we're more alike that we like to pretend.  We (us and them) like to make chasms between each other.

6. Music in Civilization: I knew most of the individual materials in the class.  However, this class brought all of creative history together and showed how they meshed with one another, and that was a phenomenal experience to see it all together.

7. Russian Novels in English: Russian literature has changed my life forever. As has Dr. Kelly. My life will never be the same.

8. Mentored Research:  Okay, so this is very related to my major, but it wasn't required for my major, so it still counts.  I eventually stopped researching for credit and then researched for my own development, and then eventually, my research mentor started to pay me.  But not only did I learn a lot of science technique, and science thought processes, I also learned a lot of science habits.  I also learned about a great, organized and particular man (my research mentor), but one who you had to get to know.  Once you get to know him though, you start to appreciate the kind and genius man he is.

9.  Physiology Teaching Seminar:  Also related to my major, but not in my major, so it counts.  This was a class where we went to nearby elementary schools and taught Anatomy and Physiology to fifth graders.  I cannot even describe how much I valued this opportunity.  I had six fifth graders that I taught for a little over an hour a week.  Their energy, their curiosity and their potential lit up my world.

10. French Literature in French: Okay, I still don't like all of French literature.  But this class made French literature much richer when in context.  And I do like some of French literature.  Pleaide was all gorgeous.  And I like Romanticism.  Symbolism starts to get odd.  Absurdism is either wonderful or awful.  I just flat out don't "get" Negrism.  But I read a lot of rich literature.


And then, the second list:  Ten "Wild and Unconvential" Things In College that I Don't Regret

1. Taking Engineering (rather than "pre-med") Physics: So most people in life sciences could take Physics 105, which is kind of designed for pre-med and geared towards the MCAT.  I chose, instead, to take Physics 121, which is the engineering/physics major version.  I saw the Physics 105 homework (because I helped a roommate with it), and it was just memorizing formula after formula after formula and understanding none of them.  I am glad that I took the engineering version, even though this is not the easiest thing I ever did.

2. TA-ing American Heritage: So there are not very many Medical Lab Science majors that TA an American History/Politics/Constitution class.  But I did.  And if I could still do it and be a Medical Lab Scientist and graduated, I would.

3. Working on the Utah County Crisis Line:  I was a suicide line answerer.  And I'm not a very warm person.  Or comforting person.  But I was one of the most successful line operators we had.  In fact, I did a stint as a "manager" (as much as volunteers have managers).  I credit a lot of this with the spirit being with me as I answered the line.  I cannot tell you how many times I have prayed in my head for guidance while talking on the phone at the same time.  But I learned about people.  I learned about communication.  I learned about mental illness.  It was a great opportunity.

4. Mentored Research:  I know I put this on here twice, but it was that good.

5. Nanowrimo--every year: So I did this in high school, too, and I intend to continue doing it.  But I am glad that I haven't missed a year since I was fourteen, and I haven't failed to complete it ever.

6. Going onto Campus Early in the Morning to Practice Piano:  It was strange and crazy, but I was thankful to have that outlet.

7. Participating in Studies:  On college campuses, you can usually make a few extra bucks by being a study participant.  And I did a few times.  I was in a study where I taught a lesson (because I was an American Heritage TA), on an economics topic to a bunch of students.  Different students had been told  different things about my teaching (some were told I was mean, others that I was laid-back, others that I was a bad teacher, others that I had been nominated as the best undergrad teacher on campus, some had been told that I was a visual teacher, others that I was a lecturer, or discussion-based) to see how much it swayed their learning and evaluations.  The others were mostly for the athletic training department, because they like the fact that my left ankle is missing a ligament (from birth) and they could try all their experimental techniques to fix it.  Some worked, some didn't.  I made some good money this way, but it was also just fun.

8. Visiting a Buddhist Temple, Jewish Synagogue and Catholic Cathedral All in One Saturday.  It was a crazy day, but an eye-opening day.  And yes, I actually was there for the synagogue service and then Kaddish afterwards.

9.  Realizing my hidden obsession with ice hockeyIt's like it's just been welling up inside of me for years and fighting to get out.

10.  Sitting in the Same chair at Church every Sunday for 3 years.  I lived in the same apartment for three years.  And every Sunday, I sat in the same chair.  All 3 years.  I hear that no one sits in that chair now that I'm gone.


The point is, college is a fast-paced place.  Enjoy it.


Comments

Amy R said…
The same chair, Hannah? I didn't know that. Where in the room was it? Front, back, middle, side?
Hannah said…
Front, right hand side on the middle aisle (we had two sections).

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?