Book Review: Bud, Not Buddy

“Just like when there's a time that a smart person knows enough is enough, there's a time when you know you've got to fight.” 


I thought that I was having a dry spell for the blog writing, because I couldn't think of things.  I am working on settling into my routine at Primary Children's Hospital and haven't gotten to the point yet where I am relaxed enough in my mind to have thoughts for a blog.  My mind is still too scattered at the end of the day.  However, I recently found that I still had a few blog posts left unwritten from my time in New York.  One of the blog posts left unwritten was about another children's book I had read, Bud, Not Buddy
 

Bud, Not Buddy is about an African-American orphan in Flint, Michigan during the Great Depression who is off to find his "father."  He is sure that that is the jazz musician, Herman E. Calloway.  

The story is powerful, and does approach the question of race in the 1930s North (NOT the South for a change), very well.  Bud is an endearing child and fun to follow.  Most of the characters are fun, even if not very complex--sometimes even flat.  However, the story is predictable and not really that believable.  It's a multiple award-winner, including the Newbery Award and the Coretta Scott King Award.  It's fun, but not memorable.  

Three stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?