The Best Shape for a Parasite Egg

We continue.  In Parasitology, one of the things that you need to be able to do is distinguish them by their eggs.  Sometimes, this is easier than other times.  Because sometimes, the eggs look identical to all the other eggs.  But, some of the eggs are very distinguished--and this makes it possible for me to have a favorite.

Trichuris trichuri (aka whipworms)



Someday, this little baby on the left will hatch and grow up, and burrow his way into people's rectums and cecums and cause the elastic tissue to break down, causing something known as prolapsed rectum (only look it up if you have a strong stomach), and the urge to use the bathroom every minute of every day.  But, for now.  Look at him.  He's a very cute little baby.  With those little bipolar plugs, not only is he easy to spot, but he's just darn cute.  Not as cute as my nephews, but I'm not a whipworm, so I probably should find babies of my species cuter than those of another, coupled with the fact that I have to think of my nephews as the most adorable things on earth.  At least until I have children.

Despite whippie's evil potential, he is cute right now.

Comments

Amy R said…
Hannah, I'm shaking my head right now. Sometimes you are humorous, but also really weird.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?