Kids Say the Darnedest Things

Today,  I had my fill of adorable children-thinking.  At work today, during lunch today, the four-year-old told me, "We have to eat cheese or we'll get stupid.  It's what our brains are made of!"

Then, later in the day when the four-year-old was really crazy, he ran into me full force between the legs.  Exasperated that this was the millionth time today I had told him to calm down, I told him, "You need to calm down!"  Hearing the exasperation in my voice, he assumed he had probably hurt me (apparently, he'd forgotten that it was just today's theme song "Calm down!") and said, "I'm sorry!  I hit you in the wee-wee."  The seven-year-old then tells him, "She doesn't have a wee-wee!  Girls don't have them.  They cut them off when they're born so that they can have babies!" (Don't you know that?!)   I must say, I could hardly hold in the laughter.  I was telling my mom that later, and she said, "Yeah, they took mine so I could have you!"  Upon pressing, she assures me that she traded up.  But maybe Freud was just getting in touch with his inner-seven-year-old when he came up with this Envy theory. I've been trying to think of a reason that this seven-year-old came to that conclusion and the only thing I can think of is that he was told "So they can have babies," or "Because they have babies," as a reason that females don't have them, and then concluded that an amputation must have taken place to enable that.

I thought I was done for the day, but when I came home, later tonight, I came around a corner, and found my two-year-old nephew, Adam, in the staircase playing with things he found.  I said, "Adam, what are you doing?"  He turns to me and yells, "Chicken!"  Adam loves that word.  It's the name of every meat, and apparently the number that comes after six. Also apparently the action of playing with random household items.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?