The Phenom of the Brother

In the Hill Cumorah Pageant, after Lehi tells all his family about his vision, Sam and Nephi are on stage together.  Nephi then says to Sam, "I wish to know more about the things which our father saw."  Then we get a whole explanation of the meaning of the fruit, and all about Christ.  But, there's something that I noticed that's kind of important to me.  After Nephi makes this declaration, Sam kind of pats Nephi on the shoulder and gets this look on his face that kind of says, "Well, good luck with that.  I'm cool with what we got."  And really, what's wrong with that?

I've long had a soft spot in my heart for the "brothers."  Is there something wrong with not being a prophet, and simply being someone who is content to follow God and live righteously? Throughout the scriptures, many prophets have these brothers. These brothers are the people who are not the prophet, but they still follow the prophet, still live righteously and still do what is expected of them.  And in some ways, I admire them even more.  They're doing it, and get no credit for it.  I may never be a Joseph Smith, but if I could ever be a Hyrum Smith, I think the Celestial Kingdom would be mine.

Sam may not have had visions.  He might not have been Nephi, but he was a good man.  We know that his descendants were called Nephites, just as the descendants of the younger brother Joseph and Jacob were. And we know that Lehi does not fear for Sam.  Lehi says, "And behold, because of the thing which I have seen, I have reason to rejoice in the Lord because of Nephi and also of Sam; for I have reason to suppose that they, and also many of their seed, will be saved." (1 Nephi 8:3).  I think that the guide that Sam gives us for our lives is very clear.  Follow the prophet.  It is said of Sam, "And I spake unto Sam, making known unto him the things which the Lord had manifested unto me by his Holy Spirit. And it came to pass that he believed in my words" (1 Nephi 2:17).   How great is that little sentence?  Sam had great faith.  And Lehi knew that.  His dying words to Sam were, "Blessed art thou, and thy seed; for thou shalt inherit the land like unto thy brother Nephi. And thy seed shall be numbered with his seed; and thou shalt be even like unto thy brother, and thy seed like unto his seed; and thou shalt be blessed in all thy days." (2 Nephi 4:11)  The most interesting part of that scripture? Sam's promise is identical to Nephi's. Sam wasn't a prophet.  But there is no blessing which Nephi received that Sam didn't. What's wrong with just following God and being righteous? Nothing.

There are many of the "brothers."  I have a list actually.  I'm a list person. But my favorite of them all is Shiblon. You may not be very familiar with Shiblon.  But, he is the never-mentioned brother of Helaman.  Of course, we all know about Corianton and his problems.  But no one ever talks about Shiblon.  Because Shiblon was the good brother.  He was the always good brother, in fact.  We actually learn that Helaman had a bit of a questioning phase (not a rebellious phase at all, but maybe a slight doubting place).  But Shiblon was always faithful.  In fact, Shiblon endured a boatload of persecution.  Alma said in his dying epistle to Shiblon, "For I know that thou wast in bonds; yea, and I also know that thou wast stoned for the word’s sake; and thou didst bear all these things with patience because the Lord was with thee; and now thou knowest that the Lord did deliver thee" (Alma 38:4).  This guy knew the Lord.  This guy trusted the Lord.  But he wasn't Helaman.  He stood by God in all things. And really, all that Alma can tell his son is "keep doing what you're doing, but don't get proud of how perfectly awesome you are" (Alma 38).  Really, I see nothing wrong with living that way.

So, I may not be a prophet.  But I think that's okay.

Comments

Evelyn said…
I, too, have always liked the brothers.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?