Hill Cumorah Pageant

Last night was closing night of The Hill Cumorah Pageant.  As a member of the Palmyra New York Stake, this is a big deal.  Let's just say that I can basically quote most of the Pageant.  From "dun-dun-duh-dut-da" to "Soon, He will be here.  Dun-Dun-Dun-Dun-Duh-duh-duh-Da-duh-duh-Da."  I spent last Friday there.  I wasn't planning on it, but then I remembered there was a YSA dance after that I should probably go to.  And then, I went on Saturday.  Wasn't planning on it, but Sarah REALLY wanted to go.  And then, I went on Tuesday, because I was greeting before-hand, and then Sarah and Marina were watching it, so I watched again.  And I didn't go on Wednesday or Thursday.  No one went on Wednesday, and I was babysitting on Thursday.  But, I went again on Friday, because I was greeting again.  Saturday, I worked security during the afternoon, and then greeted in the evening, and watched it again. 

Friday and Saturday they didn't use the fly-lines when Jesus appeared to the Nephites, for some reason, but that's really the only disappointing part.  And the fact that there is one part of that Pageant that needs re-recording: whatever actor they got to record the Joseph Smith lines speaks like a computer simulation program that pronounces "written" like a Utahn.

I guess I'm just glad to have been a part of it in my small way.  The Hill Cumorah Pageant is such a valuable tool for us members in the Finger Lakes Region. Not only does it give the opportunity to introduce people to the Book of Mormon, but at the same time, it really gives us a place to let people see Mormons.  What are we like?  What do we do?  How do we run things? 

So, there are the fun parts.  It's basically a social activity for the youth in the area, and whatever lady was the security at 15B on Saturday afternoon made the most hilarious radio transmissions.  But I'm just glad that it gave an opportunity for people to learn about us, even if there are protestors.

Comments

I would like to know how Utahns pronounce "written."
Hannah said…
They pronounce it with a glottal stop whereas most people pronounce it with an alveolar flap. Most people kind of throw it onto the top of their mouth. Utahns actually stop the word in the back of their throat in the middle.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?