Could That Ever Happen to Me? Of Course Not!

The other day, I was reading the headline stories and read a story about some egregious, criminal action.  Some sick and twisted couple was babysitting a small child (about year old, if I remember correctly), and for unknown, twisted reasons, injected the child with massive amounts of heroin.  This child died from the overdose, and the medical examiner described the situation as the child having so much heroin in it, it was like doing an autopsy on those people who smuggle drugs in their body. 

Obviously, these two people are in prison, awaiting trial (and most likely, life sentences).  Obviously, these parents are devastated.  However, I was reading the comments that people write on the bottom of the article.  I don't know why I read the comments on these things, as they only work to anger me, but I did.  Many people wrote things to the effect of, "Why are these parents not being tried for leaving the child with these people?"

At first, I was very angry with these people.  Even if these parents never read these comments, I found it distasteful to blame the parents for something that was already a more painful situation than I could imagine.  I started to wonder why these people were doing this to these parents.  Then, I wondered if perhaps, these people are merely so horrified by the story, and so frightened, that they are grasping for something that the parents could have done to avoid it.  If there was nothing that they could have done, these people would feel so helpless and the fate of their own children would be out of their hands. 

It makes it a bit more understandable.  I don't have children, but I can only think that one would want to feel like they could protect their children from anything.  Unfortunately, you can't.  And rubbing salt in the wounds of other parents to make yourself feel more secure, though maybe understandable from one angle, is not right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?