Survey of the Day: Sexism in Cytology?

I'm taking a poll at the bottom of the page. Please give your opinion.

In biology, anything that either replicates (such as DNA) or reproduces asexually, is considered "female." For example, cells that are reproduced out of another are called "daughter" cells. Chromatids that go together are called "sister" chromatids. This goes on. After research, I've learned that the reason for this is that biologists refer to these organisms as female (though they actually in reality don't really have a gender) because women are reproducers. Or at least in the traditional sense. Anyone over the age of thirteen knows how babies are made and understands the man's part in it, but you know what I'm talking about.

So the survey question: Is this sexist? (Some feminists organizations say it is, so I'm getting a feel for it).

Comments

No, there's logic to it. And why do we get so into taking "offense"?
Hannah said…
I don't know. I thought that too. If anything, I think I see that it's a compliment to woman's divine abilities.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?