Bienvenue Encore! Tu Peux Rentrer A l'Anglais!

Yesterday, at approximately 10:30 am, I left Inglemoor High School for the wonderful land of French camp. I've decided that I would perhaps share the top five highlights or things to tell you:

1) At French camp, you CANNOT speak English. "Ca c'est interdit!" as they say in France. If you speak English, you are sent to "La Bastille." This is the collection of those who have spoken English, and they get to clean the toilets, or in the case of the last set of "Bastilleurs" mop the cafeteria (which we called "Le Tour d'Argent." Every building was named after some famous building in French culture...usually something in Paris). When we returned to Inglemoor today, someone said, "I'm so afraid to speak English now. When I'm speaking English, I keep on thinking that someone's going to come up behind me and go, 'That's the Bastille for you!'"

2) The bread is amazing at French camp. At French camp, you eat French food, French order and such. All the bread, which is included in every meal, is AMAZINGLY wonderful.

3) For the first choice activity (meaning there were lots of options on activities to choose from), I was signed up to go on a hike. It was pouring rain. It was sort of a lame hike to tell you the truth. Everyone was completely silent because we were all just trudging through the mud. I think it was sort of supposed to be some sort of a nature hike, but the only nature thing we got was, "Regarde! Un petit oiseau. " That means, "look! It's a little bird!" I was so wet after that.

4) I wish that the "Bastille-izing" was a little more consistent. I mean, I overheard complete conversations in English and they didn't get Bastille-d, and yet, someone from my school got Bastille-d for using the words, "wave", "wake", and "wakeboarding" (he was trying explain wakeboarding to someone that didn't know). Everything else was in French. It just those words, and he got Bastille-d.

5) In general it was fun. Words now come to me in French if I know them. It's kind of scary actually. I feel like I did learn a lot.

5b) I thought of something I should say. My team, Guadeloupe, (each group was named after a Francophone country) won two out of three competitions and took a close second in the third.

5c) Ratatouille and Soupe D'oignon avec les crutes are two of the best things.

5d) Grapes should not be stuffed into one's mouth at 15 grapes per second. It's not a pretty sight.

5e) Prep school kids are snobby.

That's all for now folks. I hope you enjoyed our little chat.

Comments

p said…
French Onion Soup with a cheesy crispy crouton is one of my favorites. Ratatoiulle is overrated. It can be good, but is often just mushy gunk.

Phil
Hannah said…
This wasn't my first time having Ratatouille, but I'm not an expert in Ratatouille-ology by any means. I can see how it could get all mushy. This wasn't, thankfully. It was together, so that each thing didn't still have its own taste, but still, they had their own shape and texture. I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to be, but it was good.
Margaret said…
Hey there Hannah!

A look into my life! Just speaking the other language... ja. Immagine going to French camp with NO french knowledge and being expected to speak it. Yep.

I love your takes on things! French Camp sounds hard core! Haha.. and something that makes languages fun.

Mmmmm... European Bread rocks.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?