Returning from the Wilderness

I haven't written any blog posts for awhile, because I was in the wilderness.  It was funny.  The other day, a family member was asking me my opinion on all kinds of things that have happened in the past few weeks in the political world. I had to respond with, "I have no idea. I have spent the past few weeks consumed by hemophilia camps." Not that I mind. I love kids, and I love my bleeder girls at camp.  Being director is hard. Did you know that?  But I had a great time, and I had a great staff this year.  Staff really makes or breaks your experience as the director.

Then, this year, I doubled my hemophilia camp experience.  Since I live in Utah, the Utah hemophilia camp asked if I wanted to come and help them out this year.  I did.  I don't regret that, and now I have bleeder boys to add to my list of beloved kids.  So, now I love my bleeder boys and my bleeder girls.  I really am defensive of these children.  One day at camp, I was with one of my staff across the camp, when we saw a man we'd never seen walking up to the cabin area.  It turned out to be a maintenance person, but when I saw him, my staff said, "Who is that?"  My response, "I don't know, but I want him to get the heck away from my girls."

Main differences between boys and girls (though there are exceptions on both sides):

1. Summing it all up as at the end of camp with girls, I am sleep deprived. At the end of camp with boys, I am sore.  Part of this might be that I didn't sleep with the boys in their cabin, but the male co-counselors that did weren't really that sleep deprived.

2. Bleeder-specific:  Girl trips while playing soccer.  "I shouldn't be doing this.  I need to go see the nurse." "Did you hurt yourself? Is it throbbing?  Is it tingling?"  "No I just think I shouldn't be playing like this. I have a bleeding disorder, you know?"  Boy gets hit in the face with a ball, gets nosebleed. We get it to stop. "Okay, I'm going back in."  "Dude, we just got the blood to stop pouring down your face.  Chill out for just a second, okay?" "No, it stopped. I'm good."

3. Before girls can like you, they have to hate you first.  The boys were a little wary of my girl-ness at first, but warmed up to me.  By the end of camp, I had been declared free of cooties.  I was deemed "cool," and therefore, they had decided to decootify me.  Let it be known that I no longer have girl cooties.  But girls...yeah.

4. When girls go home, they cry and hug and stuff.  With the boys, I got one hug.

5. Me specific: I get boys better than I get girls.

6. Girls are boy-crazy.  Boys are girl-afraid.

7. You lay down the law with girls, and they give you dirty looks.  You lay down the law with boys, and they immediately obey.  I always tell my staff to save the loud, "Do not mess with me," voice. The only time I had to use it with the boys was in front of several other cabins, and they all went silent and one even said, "Dude, your counselor is mad." After what I said to do was done, I smiled and said, "Nope. Just serious."   The girls would have done it too, but there would have been under-the-breath complaining the entire time.


In the end, I love both groups equally, but differently.  I was also reminded why, as a child, I liked boys better than girls.  Fun weeks all around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?