Book Review: Michael Vey Series

Back to book reviewing! 


I was very nervous about this series.  It's a teen scifi adventure, written by Richard Paul Evans.  Remember when I told you about my Richard Paul Evans phase back in October/November?  If you're thinking, "Wait, I thought that he was the king of Christmas romance," you would be correct.  Now you see why I was so nervous about a teen scifi adventure series? But I kept on getting more and more recommendations to read it.  So, I finally gave in and read them.

Michael Vey is a normal boy from Meridian, ID. Except for the fact that he can shock people and control lightning and other weird electronic traits.  He soon learns that he is not the only one--all children who were born in the same hospital as him around that time have electric abilities. Some can read minds, or take away pain by electrostimulation, or control EMPs, or such.  And a society known as the Elgen want to take advantage of their abilities, and create a new race of humans. 

So, let's use the good, the bad and the ugly system here.

The Good:  Clever plotting, and a storyline that never stops moving.  Also, the science is actually fairly legit as far as I can tell (ask my many electrical engineering family members to be sure, but I think it's pretty good).  Definitely a plot-driven story. Also, main character with Tourette's makes a good disabilities character (we can sickfic it later, maybe).

The Bad: The characters are flat as pancakes.  I don't think the author understands teenagers. Fourteen-year-olds act like eleven-year-olds.  I honestly can't tell one character from another in terms of motivation, backstory and personality.

The ugly:  The portrayals of women are no bueno. Women throughout the story (even ones that are supposed to be good) are shallow, materialistic and generally insulting to people with two x chromosomes.  Exhibit A:  You've kidnapped me.  You give me diamond jewelry.  How the character reacts?  Maybe they're not that bad.  How I would react?  You've already kidnapped me and tortured me.  Don't insult me by pretending that a diamond necklace changes anything.  Exhibit B:  Teenage boy's mother's advice on what to get a girl for her birthday: "Trust me.  We're all the same.  We like clothing,  and jewelry.  And flowers."  Umm...  The exhibits just keep coming. 

Overall, fun read, and a lot of things to think about and talk about with readers.  It has some gory grit in it, and could be emotionally trying to some readers. 

Three stars for the series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?